Thread: My next project! Club match/hunting rifle

jeffman3

My next project! Club match/hunting rifle

I’m “working up” my next project! I want to build a “legacy rifle”. That rifle that will be passed down, (hopefully over and over again!) I want to build a rifle to shoot with “The Guys” on a Sunday afternoon at our local club, center fire bench matches. I want this rifle to double duty as a hunting rifle for deer and such. So master of none, Jack of all Trades; heavy field, light varmint/bench. I don’t need to win the match, I do need to not embarrass myself!

This build will be on a Stevens 200, long action. I’m thinking heavy field/light varmint contour for a 22-24 inch barrel. I am leaning on a 7x57 “better end” barrel. (Not a TOP OF THE LINE barrel, but a better than average, barrel.)

This to be resting in a XX grade maple, or walnut stock. [I’m not opposed to laminate, for performance, but I have a deep desire to spend 2 months hand rubbing linseed oil into a truly fine piece of wood!] (Legacy rifle)

Thoughts and ideas on barrels, chambering, stocks, finishing technique, all are welcome!

Thank you!

Basic Member
    I like your idea. I like the chambering. I like the walnut stock. An inexpensive option for a walnut stock is the semi-inletted walnut stock from Numrich. It can be had for about $40. It needs some file work, sanding, and a finish but I've seen a couple done on this forum that turned out so well I bought one myself and intend to finish this winter. The unfortunate part is finding a floorplate as it is called. Numrich has been out of them for as long as I've been searching Capt. Beach put a CDI bottom metal on his but that may make it heavier than you desire for a hunting rig. I plan to make a floor plate from aluminum. I'm not highly skilled at metal work but my business partner is quite handy with metal fabrication. Good luck with your build!