Thread: 6.5-06 AI anyone?

Basic Member

6.5-06 AI anyone?

So I have this right handed long action sitting here with a left handed thumbhole stock from Boyds needing a "purpose". I guess Boyd's won't make these anymore, so I don't want to sell it, though I really don't need it.

I am considering building a 6.5-06AI for long range deer hunting (even though I NEVER get out west and normally hunt heavy cover). Oh, well, that's just another issue for me to discuss with my psychiatrist/therapist if I ever find one worth talking to.

I really like 6.5 bullets and already have a couple 260 AI's and a 260. Don't see much point in doing another version of the short action alternatives to these, just because I think they are pretty much all the same. Don't argue with me. :) Don't want this to be another thread debating the virtues of the them. I want to know more about the '06.

I also already have a 25-06 that shoots like a dream.

Does anyone here have experience with this cartridge and if so, what do you think?
    Last edited by foxx; 10-15-2015 at 09:24 PM.

Basic Member
    The 6.5 -06 AI is not just an Ackley Improved....it's a true wildcat, meaning headspacing will be different than a standard AI. Your best bet is to headspace according to the full length die.
    With that said, it probably won't do anything that a 6.5 x 55 won't do. (had to get that in there...)
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    So, since I do not need another 30-06 or 25-06 or long action .260, and I don't want a .270...

...what should I do with this long action and the thumbhole stock?????

Basic Member
    Thumper

Basic Member
    You could build a 338-06.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    280, better yet 280ai. Then sell the 06 and 25/06.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    You could build a 338-06.
    Too big!!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    280, better yet 280ai. Then sell the 06 and 25/06.
    hmmm...

I have a 6.5-06AI and love it. Built on a Winchester model 70 action with a 26" E.R. Shaw barrel it runs the 140 bergers at 3180 with 59.0gr of H4831. Dies and headspace gauges are available and brass is easily made from 270 cases. It does a touch more than any swede I have ever ran and it looks cool as hell.

Basic Member
    That is a very nice gun, other than its built backwards. Everything should be opposite.
    And, the 6.5x06ai would be my choice also assuming i wanted a 6.5.
    But if i already had 2 pretty good ones, id be looking for something else that works well with
    a good range of bullets. The 280ai does that and is very close to 7 rem mag performance with an 06 case.

Build a good 'ol fashioned 284 Winchester. I built a 284 bench gun on a long action and ****ed if it isn't my favorite bolt gun now.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek088.html

jeffman3
    I'm going to throw this out.

I'm looking into a long action build, myself. I'm thinking 7x57, maybe 6.5x57 if I can find a barrel manufacturer that actually has a reamer for it. Nice light recoil, has enough to bring it home when loaded right!! 6.5-06 was on my radar 'till I looked into brass for it. For the non-AI version, Midway USA had it, for super high prices! (Too high for me anyway!) Yea I could form the brass, but I like the head stamp to be correct. (OCD on my part!) I understand your dilemma! If you are not looking at elk size game, 25-06 is a deer killing machine! WE shoot 25-06 and it kills deer like they were stuck by Thor’s hammer, if you place the right bullet, in the right place, even way out there! :)

jeffman3
    Quote Originally Posted by noisewaterphd View Post
    Build a good 'ol fashioned 284 Winchester. I built a 284 bench gun on a long action and ****ed if it isn't my favorite bolt gun now.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek088.html

Drool! Not for a hunting rifle, but on the bench,,,,,, Drool!@ :)

Josh
    280 Ackley, will make more energy with all that capacity than a 6.5. Use a 1-7 twist barrel and the new Berger 195 gr hunting HP... **** flat to 400.

it looks cool as hell
    And then some! Beautiful rifle.