Thread: old savage 110L

old savage 110L

I just bought a very old savage110L left hand 308. Serial no. 25285. I want to rebarrel to 260 and put in a new trigger.Is this gun to old for a timnney or basix trigger? Scope base my be a problem also as the receiver is round in the front and flat in the back. Would like a pictanny base. Any help greatly appericated. THANKS

Basic Member
    Your project is probably not going to be cost effective. The bolts are different and the barrel will need to be fitted by a smith because of the way the bolt nose fits into the barrel. The trigger is way different too. I have a first generation 110L that had been rebarreled to .25-06 before i bought it. It was fitted without the barrel nut and has the original trigger, which I had a smith to smooth up. I plan to leave well enough alone on this one.

Does it have the barrel "bump" at the rear sight? Does it have a bolt nose recess in the chamber end of the barrel? Like LHitchcox said you'll need to update some parts.

At minimum, you'll need a new bolt to go with the new 260 barrel. If you want a new trigger you'll need to swap in a whole new trigger assembly, not just the trigger itself.

I've built from these actions. It's not cost effective, but is easy enough to do if you got into it cheap enough. I got my last one for $25, $50 out the door after Brady.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    You don't want to mess up an early generation Savage bolt gun. They are sweet in their own right. I've heard but can't say that the trigger is sought after for replacements for the newer guns. I have three of these rifles and had extensive trigger work on one, but once set, it's great. Mine are all right handed in 22-250, 243, and 270. My advice is to leave that rifle as is.

I have a gen 1, and the trigger adjusted to an incredible clean and light break. I have it set on about a pound with no creep. follow the directions here http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ger-Adjustment

Lonnie69
    Does this apply to all flat back savages as far as barrel swaps? Mine has a letter to start the SN#. I don't mean to hi jack the post but this applied directly to my situation also.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie69 View Post
    Does this apply to all flat back savages as far as barrel swaps? Mine has a letter to start the SN#. I don't mean to hi jack the post but this applied directly to my situation also.
    No. Only the early actions. Pre-1967. They have a recessed breach, protruding bolt nose, standing ejector, and a barrel "bump" at the rear sight.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar