Thread: Old barrel reinstalled - new load development?

Basic Member

Old barrel reinstalled - new load development?

This is probably a novice question, but here it is. I am waiting for the last component (the barrel) to arrive to complete a 6.5 CM build from a mod. 10 .243. Let's say, for whatever reason, I decide to screw the old .243 barrel back on the action. Will I have to start load development all over again for the .243? In other words, I suppose the head space would probably change just enough for original loads not to be all that accurate anymore.
    Thanks in advance.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

LongRange
    id start right where you left off and see how it shoots and then make minor adjustments as needed.

Basic Member
    ^ Yep...This :-) ^

Basic Member
    Yeah, it would probably be smart not to load up a lot of extras if I plan on doing barrel swaps in case my load data changes.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Basic Member
    It might help to put "witness marks" on the barrel, recoil lug and lugnut so as to improve the likelihood that all is returned to the original arrangement. Won't hurt, might help.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Medic View Post
    Yeah, it would probably be smart not to load up a lot of extras if I plan on doing barrel swaps in case my load data changes.
    and if you do load up a lot at a time thats going to set for any length of time id suggest you seat your bullets .005 or so long and then when your ready to shoot them run them through the seating die to your final seating depth...it will save you a whole lot of head scratching and wondering WTF just happened.

I always have fire formed brass set aside for a barrel that has been taken off. I use the fire formed brass to re head space the barrel back on. My loads that I developed for that barrel are always still the same when I use this method, that is if your using the exact same components.

Regard's

Dan
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the advice and suggestions fellers. I know'd I could count on some good stuff.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=DanSavage;338852]I always have fire formed brass set aside for a barrel that has been taken off. I use the fire formed brass to re head space the barrel back on. My loads that I developed for that barrel are always still the same when I use this method, that is if your using the exact same components.

Regard's

Dan[/QUOT

Let me get this straight, Dan. You're saying to not resize but keep some brass that was fired from the barrel before it was removed. And if that barrel is reinstalled use a piece of that brass as a Go-Gauge, so to speak. Right?