Thread: savage fcp bolt baffle replacement, which version is best?

Basic Member

savage fcp bolt baffle replacement, which version is best?

allrh guys, managed to damage the little lip on the front bolt baffle... ( hardened steel it chipped when i dropped it)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/128...ough-116-steel

It's for the 2015 flcp-sr (so the left handed model) in 308; right now it has the model that midway actually lists as the 110-116 series baffle (above)

From what i understand there's no difference between left or right handed for that front baffle part, but i'm wondering what would work / operate best, stainless or carbon steel / the black version?

Also, would this model (below) have any advantage over the shorter model (perhaps ride better in the receiver due to longer bearing surface??);

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/956...rough-16-steel

please let me know which way i should go, stainless or black, and with the short versus long model.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    don't worry about it. File it smooth and call it good. That "wing /lip" serves no real purpose. I would not replace it.

THe one that has the extension is for .223 type (short cartridges). It shortens the bolt throw so it handles quicker. wont work with .308 cuz you need the added length of normal short action.

The longer one will shorten bolt travel about 1/2''.

Basic Member
    Got it thanks for the input. Wonder why they go through the trouble of adding that wing / lip if it doesn't really serve a purpose? I noticed my axis doesn't have that wing / lip, but the fcp even has a separate groove machined into the receiver to accomodate that wing.

I just ordered the short version in both stainless and carbon steel; i'll find out which one works best in my gun. :)