Thread: Looking at Savage in Nevada

schnyd112

Looking at Savage in Nevada

I have always been a Remington guy, then I started shooting competitions in April. There are more guys on the line that I shoot with shooting savage than anything else. I am now looking at buying one myself. I currently shoot a rem 700 in .220 swift that will shortly be .260 AI. I am looking at a companion gun (same chamber) to this which I can more easily experiment with. Experimenting with both freebore and barrel length is my goal along with trying to find a compromise between weight, stability, and ease of carry. I am a big game hunter, when I draw tags, but as with my swift I really enjoy coyote and varmint hunting. Need to take advantage of all the wide open spaces we have in Nevada. I am also going to need a rifle to fill the void while the rem is away and I am pretty much sold on a Savage.

I hope to find good information here. My previous lurking shows there are some very knowledgeable people here that are plenty willing to help, and jab when need be.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

LongRange
    I know you because your the only guy shooting a swift in Nevada LOL...pay the $15 bucks so you can see the rest of the site...that's where the good stuff is.
    are you going to make the November varmint match? this is Dave BTW.

schnyd112
    Yes I will be there. I ordered a bunch of lapua brass so I am going to make some dummy rounds to see if it is even worth trying to keep at mag length. If my numbers are right, to keep at mag length I will loose almost 6% case capacity. If that is the case I may have to change specs on the reamer a little and turn my short action into a single shot.

LongRange
    What mags are you running?

schnyd112
    Not running magazines, just a rem hinged floor plate. So I would need to stay at about 2.85" to get them to feed right. I am actually thinking about a savage 110 action so I can run DBM without much constraint. I feel I can get about 3.2" and still feed but that's a whole other story. Thinking about making the rem a single shot, and then having a long action savage that can run AICS magazines, but haven't read enough about the latter yet.

LongRange
    Thats what the rifle i shot last match is...long action with aics mag...the mag is a little long but it will feed just not fast

Welcome!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Team Savage
    howdy