Thread: After market stock for HB Axis?

Starstud

After market stock for HB Axis?

Does anyone make a stock for the Axis that has a heavy barrel. I've already contacted Boyd's and they have nothing that will work and cannot find anything online. I'm not looking to spend tons of money but if I can get a stock that feels better ergonomically and will help the rifle shoot a little better I'd be happy.

rfd12fv
    nonsense! boyds DOES make a good stock selection for the axis hb model, it's labelled as "bull barrel" on their site - a few months back i outfitted this axis hb .308 with their thumbhole varmint stock ...

Starstud
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd12fv View Post
    nonsense! boyds DOES make a good stock selection for the axis hb model, it's labelled as "bull barrel" on their site - a few months back i outfitted this axis hb .308 with their thumbhole varmint stock ...

Oh wow, I must have missed that. Thanks for the input, I'll check it out. That rifle looks good btw

Basic Member
    I second what rfd12v said, I have a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock with the bull barrel option for my Axis. Nice stock for the money.

Everyone has already mentioned that Boyds does make a heavy barrel stock. I will throw it it even worked with an ER Shaw Varmit taper which is similar to the Savage heavy barrel.

I don't know why they call it "bull" when "bull barrel" is well-understood as an untapered barrel and the Savage factory varmint contour is also pretty ubiquitous among barrel makers.

I've got Boyds Axis stock for a sporter barrel that I need to open up with sandpaper for a varmint barrel, which is how we used to do it back in the day (i.e. last year).

rfd12fv
    hb or bull - just labels for a no or slow tapered barrel. i use wheelers scope lapping rods with 3m gold abrassive stuck on to open up any fore stock to best accept or free float most any barrel, tapered or not.

Jay24bal
    Yes, they certainly make one, I just received one last week from them.

However, I agree with Thunder on their label for it. For an aftermarket parts supplier, why would you not match the terms of the product to those of the original manufacturer and call it "Axis Heavy Barrel" instead of "bull"? I ordered the Pro Varmint and had to open it up to fit a true, 1" bull barrel. I knew going in what they meant and that I was getting a stock inlet for the Axis HB, just seems dumb to me mix terms up that already have a pretty standard meaning.

I ordered my Boyd's LH stock/RH action Axis .308 HB prairie hunter stock in coyote finish yesterday AM. Had a **ll of a time getting familiar w/their web site and nomenclature. Using the “find a stock” was no help. Entering the words, Savage Axis in the search field, bing-o, everything from Axis trigger through the RH/LH stocks etc was there. The "nomenclature" they use in regard to the “bull barrel” is/was very confusing...! Upon searching our SS forum, I came across this thread, another bing-o. I then was comfortable in placing my on-line order... THANKS GUYS!

SS posters here and others threads... keep up the great information!

Happy Holidays to you/family.

Dhahn*
    aka... Dennis

PS: Boyd's,... Thanks!