Thread: Anyone built a 7 WSM in a Model 10 short action?

Basic Member

Anyone built a 7 WSM in a Model 10 short action?

I recently bought a Model 10 chambered in .308. It's centerfeed with 4.4" screw spacing, DBM, and bottom bolt release. It shoots pretty well for what it is, but I'm in need of a better long range cartridge as the .30 cal bullets have a tough time getting to a mile with any type of consistency.

The 7mm WSM seems like it would fit the bill if I can throw 180gr VLDs between 2,800-2,900 fps. From what I can tell, however, this round needs to be seated around 2.9-2.95" to get close to those velocities, and I'm wanting to keep it a repeater if at all possible.

I've also considered some of the 6.5mm alternatives, but would really prefer to stay in the 7mm family. Any insight or experience is appreciated.

Pic of said rifle:
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    You might get there with a 7mm saum in a repeater. The velocity difference isn't that great from what I know in comparison between the 7mm wsm and the 7mm rsaum.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    You might get there with a 7mm saum in a repeater. The velocity difference isn't that great from what I know in comparison between the 7mm wsm and the 7mm rsaum.
    I looked at the rsaum but would prefer to stay with the WSM for simplicity's sake. I can find WSM brass and dies easily, lots of load data, etc. From everything I've read, they're basically the same round other than the short mag having a few more grains of capacity. Length should be about the same.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    AICS style bottom metal or a chassis with Alpha Type 2 mags will get you 2.95 in a repeater configuration.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    AICS style bottom metal or a chassis with Alpha Type 2 mags will get you 2.95 in a repeater configuration.
    Exactly what I was looking for good sir, thank you.