Thread: meplat uniforming hollow point bullets

flatshooter

meplat uniforming hollow point bullets

I read recently about hollow point bullets.....

a cavity or hollow in the bullet nose (hollow point) to shift the projectile's centre of gravity rearwards....

Holding the bullet and looking at the hollow point under a magnifing glass, you can see the hole isn't level on certain bulllets manufactures, and Berger is looking real good..

I remember seeing a hollow point uniformer.... does a uniformed hollow point help control the center of gravity?

Uncle Jack

Re: meplat uniforming hollow point bullets

Basic Member

here you go lots of info
    MCR Meplat Uniforming Tool
    http://www.montourcountyrifles.com/
    and a review

http://www.6mmbr.com/MCRmeplat.html
    112,223,choate uv,nikon 6-18<br />lrpv,204,hs stock,sightron S3 6-24x50<br />12 target,McGowen 6mmbr,SSS hbr,Sightron S3 8-32<br />Mark II,22lr,thumbhole,Tasco 6-24x40<br />11 youth,243,Simmons 2.5-10x50<br />116fcss 30-06<br />12fv,204,VX-3 4.5-14x50

82boy

With meplat trimming, you will never notice a difference between trimmed and non-trimmed bullet until you shot out past 600 yards. Trimming the meplat will decrease a bullets BC. The idea system is to trim the meplat, and then run the bullet up into a pointing die. When trimming the meplat you only want to take a very small cut trimming around 75% area of the tip. :)

flatshooter

Look like Bergers "look good".....

David Tubb has done extensive testing and he advocates meplat trimming. Bruce Baer, on the other hand, doesn&#39;t see the need. Both are respected champions. (Editor&#39;s Note: The benefits of trimming can depend on the brand/lot of bullets. If they are very consistent in weight and length to begin with, and the meplats look good, you will see less benefit. Conversely if you have a batch of bullets with base to ogive variances of .007" or more, the uniforming can help.)

Will I trim my meplats? The answer is "yes and no." For yardages beyond 500 I&#39;ll give it a try since I&#39;ll take every edge I can get, be it real or imagined. For 300 yards and under, I doubt I&#39;ll bother, unless I prove to myself it makes a difference. The jury&#39;s still out on that one.

I wondering about varmints, I know it probobly doesn&#39;t matter about scores in compitition.....

DGD6MM

Sierra is now pointing some of their bullets. Not sure which ones. Tubb&#39;s 115 DTAC that Sierra makes comes pointed now. There are good pointing tools out there and there are better pointing tools, this I don&#39;t know first hand but a buddy has had them.