I purchased my first scope a few months ago , I was looking for an entry level scope around $300 and found I great optic in the primary arms 4x14x44. When I was looking at different options lots of people told me about the SWFA but I did not want a fixed power scope. I thought I would be changing the power on it a lot for different shots and different ranges. Now that I have been to the range about six or seven times I find that I leave my scope on full power about 95% of the time. Even when I'm shooting at the 100 yards targets I'm fine with the 14x magnification. I have never been hunting but I am told that a variable power scope is a must for that. I just shoot steel at the range and have noticed almost everyone uses a variable power scope(lots of vortex ,night force, and Leopold). I will be building another rifle soon, hoping to go out to around 900 yards. So here are my two questions....
Would l get better quality getting a fixed power scope vs a variable power in the same price range?

What do you guys use for target shooting??