Thread: Variable power VS fixed power scopes

Variable power VS fixed power scopes

I purchased my first scope a few months ago , I was looking for an entry level scope around $300 and found I great optic in the primary arms 4x14x44. When I was looking at different options lots of people told me about the SWFA but I did not want a fixed power scope. I thought I would be changing the power on it a lot for different shots and different ranges. Now that I have been to the range about six or seven times I find that I leave my scope on full power about 95% of the time. Even when I'm shooting at the 100 yards targets I'm fine with the 14x magnification. I have never been hunting but I am told that a variable power scope is a must for that. I just shoot steel at the range and have noticed almost everyone uses a variable power scope(lots of vortex ,night force, and Leopold). I will be building another rifle soon, hoping to go out to around 900 yards. So here are my two questions....
    Would l get better quality getting a fixed power scope vs a variable power in the same price range?

What do you guys use for target shooting??

I have several of these by far the best value going.

http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/swift...ope-6-24x50mm/

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Comparing the maximum magnification of a variable scope to the same in a fixed power scope in the same price range, you will almost always have better clarity in the fixed power scope.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

I don't hunt so I can't comment on the necessity of variable magnification, but I could see its utility for long range, unknown distance shooting, whether at game or at steel. When I was at Bang Steel, I found it a lot easier to find smaller, farther targets by cranking down the magnification and then zooming in to shoot than when I was trying to find the targets with my fixed scope. The mile shot was frustrating because the target was so hard to see with the fixed scope, but that's what was on my magnum.

Basic Member
    I live in Southwest Florida where it gets HOT in the summer. Sometimes the heat mirage can be really strong and it is an advantage to dial back the magnification.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I have several of these by far the best value going.

http://www.thesportsmonkey.com/swift...ope-6-24x50mm/

Dean
    I have the 8-32 x 50 version of this scope and it is a very good scope fro the price

[QUOTE=I have the 8-32 x 50 version of this scope and it is a very good scope fro the price[/QUOTE]

I also have some 8X32-50s and your right they get the job done, but the 6 X24-50 are totally different with the side focus, clearer glass, and being 30mm.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I also have some 8X32-50s and your right they get the job done, but the 6 X24-50 are totally different with the side focus, clearer glass, and being 30mm.

Dean
    Good to know. I may have to try one on my next 260 build.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Variable power scopes are just a passing fad.

Similar to scopes with internal adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Variable power scopes are just a passing fad.

Similar to scopes with internal adjustments.

^^
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    My favorite budget scope is a 16x Super Sniper from SWFA. I've used them on everything out to a 12" target at 1 mile. Yes, it was small, but was enough scope to get there on a clear day. I would love to have a high dollar variable, first focal plane, mil adjustment scope on every rifle, but just can't do that. I've seen too many low end variables have problems to go down that road again.

Basic Member
    Im still using a couple of old fixed 12x Leupolds on several of my long range hunting guns.
    I find 10 to 20 power enough for me at even the very long distances. The variable aspect
    can be an advantage for finding targets while hunting, and also for periods with high mirage.
    But for strictly target shooting id be apt to use fixed power scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by mscott71 View Post
    I would love to have a high dollar variable, first focal plane, mil adjustment scope on every rifle, but just can't do that. I've seen too many low end variables have problems to go down that road again.
    The Primary Arms 4-14X FFP, Mil/Mil has MUCH better glass than the SWFA 3-15x. For any non-magnum I think you would like it. It did a few hundred rounds on my 308, and now has over a thousands rounds with a Creedmoor. It did survive a 4-wheeler rolling down the canyon event as well.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.