Thread: Who can make me a 7-300 wby prefit

Who can make me a 7-300 wby prefit

Hello all. I'm looking for some info. I'm trying to find out who can spin a 7-300 wby barrel large Shank for me. Looking to do a light palma ,or heavy sporter at 27" or better. I know shilen can but I had a bad experience with there barrels. Not slamming them just my experience with barrels that were made up by my gunsmith for my Winchesters. I would love to have a criterion but they can't do it . What does everyone think of a pacnor or a 4d. I think they both make them. I appreciate all your info

Team Savage
    I would take a hard look at apache. His work is flawless.

I did yesterday they don't have the reamer

Basic Member
    Many barrel builders out there will chamber what you want, "if You provide the reamer". It is best to buy the reamer needed because the builder will have it quite a while. When the work is complete, you can sell it if you like. :-)

4D reamer rental will make the barrel for you. They will chamber the barrel with any reamer they have in their inventory.

http://www.4-dproducts.com/savage.php
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    +1 for Pac-Nor. They deliver on time in my experience. I have one of their super match grade barrels. Very happy with it.

Basic Member
    Eric Wallace.

Google him for contact info. I know he is doing a 7- 300 Win mag for a Savage for one gentleman.

Basic Member
    I have 2 7x300 weatherbys and have been using that cartridge for more than 40 years.
    About as good as it gets as for a large 7mm cartridge. The 7 STW, and 284 BAER would both
    offer similar performance as would the 7 ultramag. Just run a 300 weatherby case thru an easy
    to obtain 7x300 weatherby die and go shoot. So happens i know a guy who bought a bunch of reamers
    from a deceased gunsmiths estate which had that reamer in the inventory. I also know several guys who
    had very accurate rifles chambered with that reamer. Cant guarantee its still available but can find out if your
    interested. I can also tell you about other good smiths who chamber guns in that cartridge.

I have narrowed it down to either a light varmint or heavy sporter its the criterion profiles. I think I should have at least a 27 or 28" to take advantage of the case volume. Maybe im wrong would a 26 be enough or longer. who has had either of these barrels, Im looking for a prone type hunter with possibility of carry around. Are these heavy recoilers would a brake be needed

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bushwackr View Post
    I have narrowed it down to either a light varmint or heavy sporter its the criterion profiles. I think I should have at least a 27 or 28" to take advantage of the case volume. Maybe im wrong would a 26 be enough or longer. who has had either of these barrels, Im looking for a prone type hunter with possibility of carry around. Are these heavy recoilers would a brake be needed
    I have answered your PM, if you didnt get it try me again.
    The above post can be updated as for the 7x300 reamer and i stated that in my pm.
    I have a carrying type gun on a 700 action with a 27" barrel removed from a 40x Rem and rechambered.
    The action was originaly a 270 which i had trued, bolt face enlarged and a Saco xtractor installed.
    Ive never weighed it but its a doable weight for a carry gun. It does have a brake as do
    most of my guns. I can get 2 in the factory magazine plus the one in the chamber.
    Accuracy isnt affected with the 162 Hornadys i use and 3300 + with those bullets in that barrel isnt a problem.
    I know several very good smiths who chamber for that cartridge. But i doubt they would rent their reamer.
    I know i can get the information on the purchaser of the reamer above mentioned who is in CA.

I've been talking with Dean at Accurate Barrels. Hes going to spin me up a 7-300. I will keep everyone posted and ad pics when I get it home. Thanks all

Basic Member
    Look forward to hearing more. Nice there are off the shelf custom dies out there for this.

I looked hard at doing one but the cheaper 300wm brass is pulling me toward a 7-300wm probably the 7 Practical reamer. Lots of variations but not a lot of gains from one to the next.

Good choice there for sure!

i looked at a 7 practical but the 300 win mag brass is way harder to get than the weatherby and to my surprise the norma 300 wby brass is not that spendy . I hope I can break it in on some hogs

I lucked out and found a set of dies for a good price so I figured here we go

Got an update sounds like the barrel should ship this week. I cant wait

Basic Member
    That was fast.

Basic Member
    Pick up a pound of 7828sc and a box of 162 gr Hornady match bthp bullets.
    Id also try 168 gr Sierras or Bergers. Start at 74/75 gr and work up in half gr increments
    till you see some pressure signs. H1000 will work also but 7828 gives better velocity.
    Id shoot everything over a chronagraph if possible. You might see 3400 with the 162s in a 28" barrel.
    Whats the twist, 9 ?

Yes it is a 9 twist, and I agree with the 3400fps.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

I will start with 162sst , I'm trying to get some eldx's but that's not going to happen anytime soon by the sound of things

I got the barrel it is a very nice piece. It fits dang near perfect in the stock. I'm going to say the only reason I had to do any stock work is that I wanted more meat left on the tube and he hit it right on the nose. I am very impressed. Even better it ended up being longer than I was thinking which just tickles me. I Needless to say this will not be my last barrel from My Accurate Barrel. Thanks Dean

I will get some pics of it and post it . I am very pleased

Basic Member
    How much freebore?

If I read the print right its .180 , PT&G could tell you for sure.

Basic Member
    I was just curious if they ran at weatherby length .378 or somewhere in between.