Thread: Repeating rifles in F-class ?

Basic Member

Repeating rifles in F-class ?

Can all F-class rifle competitions be easily shot with single-shot bolt-action rifles ?

Is there a need or benefit to a repeating rifle in any F-class competition ?

Are you allowed to use a modified action ?

For example, an action that Fred moved the bolt handle operation to the left-side ?

LongRange
    You can shoot anything you want except a 50 in F-open F/TR is limited to .223 and .308 cals....im not 100% sure but i think if your running a muzzle break or suppressor your score wont be registered with the NRA.

I've only shot one F-class match, but in the time it took for the target to drop, get scored, and come back up, I had plenty of time to single load, even with a tiny, Axis loading port. A better shooter with a better puller might not have so much time, but for me it was no problem. My understanding is that F-class events are also slow fire, so, depending on conditions, there is a good deal of time anyway.

I shot F-Open with a modified Axis in .243 Win. The guys I traveled with were all shooting F-T/R with custom built .308 Win rifles. There is a weight limit for the rifle in both segments (22lbs and 18lbs respectively) and some specific equipment prohibitions in T/R (bipods only, no rests). Brakes and suppressors are not allowed in either.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 10-19-2015 at 02:39 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    1----Can all F-class rifle competitions be easily shot with single-shot bolt-action rifles ?

2----Is there a need or benefit to a repeating rifle in any F-class competition ?

3----Are you allowed to use a modified action ?

For example, an action that Fred moved the bolt handle operation to the left-side ?
    1---- Yes as all official registered matches are shot single load there is no advantage to using any type of repeater.
    2---- See answer 1
    3---- Yes

Restrictions in a nut shell are .... No caliber larger than .35 (range restrictions may apply), no muzzle brakes or can's allowed, must meet weight restrictions for class, Some matches MAY allow shooters with non-allowed rifles to shoot but scores will not be sent in for record.

http://competitions.nra.org/document...R/hpr-book.pdf

See section 22 for F-Class rules and that should put an end to the misinformation problem.

Had to edit just for Hammer. Dadgumit Hammer i just noticed you started this. Still a good subject and questions that a lot of people want to know answers to.
    Last edited by earl39; 10-19-2015 at 10:34 AM.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)