Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dscussion: SSS's New Acme Universal magazine conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Dscussion: SSS's New Acme Universal magazine conversion

Nice work, is there a set up for the 223 in the works ?

Mike

hangtime

Dscussion: Acme Universal magazine conversion

Is it only short action...I know you said it was for the short action, or do they offer it for the long action also?

Uncle Jack

Okay, Fred, I'll take a frame and a 10 round mag and a inlet job. When do you want me to send the US stock?

Will this also work on the UV stock?

Is there a long action version in the works?

uj

P.S. Dare I ask how long it might take?

Basic Member

I assume you can inlet a B&C A2 Medalist to accept these? If so I will be sending you two.

lostart

I am also curious about a long action version. Good work Fred

McKinneyMike

Quote Originally Posted by lostart
    I am also curious about a long action version. Good work Fred
    Me too! Why is it the SA guys have all the fun :) I would love to have a detachable magazine for my LA Savages.

hangtime

Looks like there is a market for the long action people.

ellobo

Wow, good old American ingenuity at work. A wonderful thing to see. This is obviously a blessing for those guys who need/want more capacity. The design and execution seem to be of the best order. A long actin version wil be on the way I am sure. Hang in there guys, a genius is at work.
    El Lobo

JeepsAndGuns

Re: Dscussion: SSS's New Acme Universal magazine conversion

Most definately need a long action model. I would love to have this on my long action centerfeed with the ulitmate varmiter stock!

Basic Member

What is the maximum cartridge overal length that will funtion well in the magazine?

Uncle Jack

Whose magazines are they. I know Fred is great at machine work and the bottom metal looks it, but sheet metal is a whole different discipline.

uj

Basic Member

Fred,

You list it available for the Choate Utimate Sniper stock, will it also fit the Choate Varminter?

I guess you couldn't make an even larger oblong front hole to fit my J action, huh?

;D
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Basic Member

WOW!!! I shoulda checked here first just to confirm that nobody cares about short actions anymore....
    Well, yes....there is plans for a long action version BUT.....until the magazines are totally wrung out, field tested and approved, you won't see anything about it. That's why I kept this under wraps until I had it de-bugged and into production before I cut it loose, somehow I knew this would happen.
    .223....not out of the question, but not bloody likely for a long time.

The Choate version will fit either stock, US or UV. I can inlet the Medalist, that's a given, but the only thing I don't know for sure is the depth of the stock in that area and it might be thicker, leaving the frame below the the wood line. Not that it would be a problem, just maybe unsightly, but I'll bet it's pretty close.

The whole idea behind this was to make most of the applications "drop in" fits. Even for a stagger feed, one could use a stock originally for a centerfeed DBM and simply slot the front hole, or remove the pillar. The Choate Tactical stock is a good example: although it is for a new centerfeed DBM, the front hole that is through the aluminum chassis can be slotted back, and now it will fit a stagger feed. The B&C are the same way with the aluminum chassis, you could go either way.
    The DBM inlets will vary slightly from different manufactures, so it may be neccesary to tweak things with a dremel.
    "J" series.....OK, Frank....yer pushin' it now. It would be possible, but that would be a total custom application.

As to who is making the magazines...I am not at liberty to discuss that at this time, but I will say that they are used on alot of high-dollar custom tactical rigs.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

bodywerks

Have I missed something? where are the pics?

McKinneyMike

Quote Originally Posted by bodywerks
    Have I missed something? where are the pics?
    Go here for the photos http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,33550.0.html

Basic Member

Did I understand what I read yesterday correctly, these are available to be installed now? What kind of wait time would I be looking at to get a 10rd installed on my B&C A2. I can send it off today if these are ready to go.

bodywerks

Fred, what do I gotta do to get one in .223?????

You guys gotta realize this is part of why the back up on some of the other work and why it will be a long while before the long action stage begins.

other work has to be caught back up and the annual varmint hunter jamboree vacation is also coming up.

Don't expect any instant gratification with getting your stocks inleted!

And you know there will be some that call and want it added to work already there putting them further behind.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    You guys gotta realize this is part of why the back up on some of the other work and why it will be a long while before the long action stage begins.

other work has to be caught back up and the annual varmint hunter jamboree vacation is also coming up.

Don't expect any instant gratification with getting your stocks inleted!

And you know there will be some that call and want it added to work already there putting them further behind.
    Greg, has said it best.
    This is why Fred and Mark put in mega hours each week. (More than most people do) R&D takes time, money, and other things. Now imagine tring to do that and a few hundred orders, that people change there minds contunisly.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    "J" series.....OK, Frank....yer pushin' it now. It would be possible, but that would be a total custom application.
    Fred, I'll be in Ohio in October , I'll come up and talk to you about it. ;D
    Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

lostart

I think that most of the inquiries are being taken the wrong way. Most of us are entirely grateful, and lets face it, tickled pink, that an item of this sort is becoming available. Again, MOST of us understand the time constraints and effort needed to develop a new product while trying to fill mass amounts of orders. Quality is what matters, which is why Fred is so busy.

Just speaking for myself, when a new product becomes available, I think: Alright! I get to have a large clip for my .243 or .308, or whatever. But wouldn't it be cool to have a 10 rnd for a 25-06? I think that's where most of the questions are coming from and should not be taken as an insult, if that is in fact the case.

NOTE: I have yet to order from SSS, as I am fairly new to this. But I plan to in the near future. A short action build is on the horizon and one of these mags will fit it nicely. Looking forward to it.

McKinneyMike

Quote Originally Posted by lostart

Just speaking for myself, when a new product becomes available, I think: Alright! I get to have a large clip for my .243 or .308, or whatever. But wouldn't it be cool to have a 10 rnd for a 25-06? I think that's where most of the questions are coming from and should not be taken as an insult, if that is in fact the case.
    Exactly ;D

I know that most are asking questions and no one has a problem with that or takes them as insults. I want long action also.
    My point was for that one guy that was going to come on whining that they can't do it tomorrow. or there sold out and they have had one on order for a year. :)
    we all know there will be one :)
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Uncle Jack

Can I join the whiners? I want one too.

uj

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    Can I join the whiners?

You are already a member ;D :D

Just ribbin ya a bit, just had to do it...before Greg said it ::)
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast