Thread: Savage action weight for a build

Doc7

Savage action weight for a build

Hello all,

My goal on my build for a 7mm-08 range and treestand whitetail rifle is 9 lbs, unloaded, scoped.

I will be using a Savage 11 FCNS action with the included metal trigger guard and detachable magazine well (bottom metal).

I will be using a Boyd's Heritage laminate stock which the website lists at 2 lbs 13 oz.

Additionally I have a 14 oz Vortex Viper scope and DNZ game reaper mount which I believe weighs around 6 oz.

Does anyone know the weight of the Savage action with receiver/bolt/trigger/detachable mag bottom metal?

I am at 4 lbs with the stock and scope, so however many lbs the above is will determine which contour barrel I buy from Pac-Nor with a custom 1-1.5" length shank.

Alternatively anyone with a field report on their rifle weight with a specific contour barrel and a Boyd's stock would help out a lot.

Thanks!

Did a quick Google search and found a thread on Benchrest.com posted by milanuk stating the following:

The following is from one of my personal actions, weighed on a MyWeigh55 shipping scale:
    10. RBLP Target action + trigger: 2.280 lbs
    11. Trigger guard: 0.120 lbs
    12. Barrel nut: 0.040 lbs
    13. Recoil lug: 0.055 lbs

The trigger probably weighs about what the trigger guard does, just a guess.

Extrapolated weights:

14. Action + trigger + nut + lug: 2.375 lbs
    15. F/TR barrel (barrel only): 6.865 lbs
    16. Palma barrel (barrel only): 4.599 lbs
    Gets you some of the data you're looking for, but not all.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Doc7

Savage action weight for a build

I saw that thread as well before starting my own here but didn't know if the target action was much heavier than the standard 11.

Target action will be slightly heavier due to the solid top.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Doc7
    So it sounds like if I want a 9 lb rifle in a Boyd's laminate stock I would have to go #1 contour for a Pacnor.

My Axis .284 build weights in right at 10-lbs with Leupold FX-3 6x42mm scope and nylon sling. It has a laminate SSS stock and 23" Shilen #4 contour barrel. Spending a few extra bucks for walnut over the laminate can save you several ounces on the stock if you really need to keep the weight down.

Basic Member
    The action weight including everything but the barrel is 2 lb.,13 oz. A 22" sporter weight will be right at 2lbs 6 oz.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Doc7
    Hello all, I took my rifle apart today to get some weights. I've gotten a lot of help on this forum so I am hoping that someday someone will find this post when looking for weights and considering blind vs detachable conversions or a stock or barrel swap.

Savage 11 FCNS 7mm-08 22" barrel w/ bottom bolt release, detachable box mag, 4.4" center-feed screw spacing

Accustock with all hardware (Trigger guard, bottom metal) removed: 2 lbs, 2 oz

Bottom Metal for Magazine : 4.4 oz

Metal Trigger Guard with bolt release : 2.8 oz

Magazine : 4 oz

Bolt : 13 oz

The following numbers are estimated based upon assumptions that my scope (per Vortex website) is 14.2 oz and my DNZ Gamereaper one-piece bases are 5 oz (estimated from online sales websites and reviews, not officially published numbers)

Factory Barrel : 2 lb 12 oz (split the difference between an E.R. Shaw replacement barrel listing and a calculated weight from Pacnor with my barrel dimensions input into the calculator)

Receiver (minus bolt) and Accutrigger : 13 oz

Total : 8.4 lbs

By my estimation this means I can use a 3 lb barrel if I switch to a blind feed laminated Boyd's stock (add 4 oz to barrel, subtract 4 oz bottom metal, add ~9 oz stock weight) and be at 9 lbs, my goal weight.