Thread: 300 Win Mag - Take II

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

300 Win Mag - Take II

Was in the neighborhood so I thought I'd stop in.
    Since the flu didn't kill me & my wife & her mother haven't driven me crazy (yet) I thought I'd upgrade my 300WM.

Stevens 200 action
    H-S Precision stock
    CDI bottom goodies
    Vortex PST in MRAD - (still learning this)
    Harris bipod
    Muzzle break by Nate (Muzzle Breaks & more, I think)
    Weaver slotted 6 screw rings
    EGW rail
    Barrel by Jim "Bent Pipe" Apache - 24" / .950 at the hole
    Many, many hours of tweaking & tinkering to make that action smooth a silk.

So far it has consumed copious amounts of RL-22, RL-25 & IMR7828, depending on which bullet I use. It seems to favor 175 Nosler CC's and Sierra 200 MK's.
    Dialing it in was lengthy but fun. Hopefully this week will be the long range test. I'm real anxious to see how it does at 500yds. and further.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Nice Frank. Mils are the way to go. Nice Small numbers and quick to adjust too. Once I made the switch MOA although just as good a system it's easier to remember my come ups in Mils.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I found out about "nice quick numbers & quick to adjust" - First time out on a 200yd line. Torched one off and said "hmmmm, come up 6 inches." Grabbed that top knob and twisted.

The next 8 shots went over to top of the target before I figured out what I did.
    It's not a difficult concept. It's remembering THAT particular scope is in mils NOT MOA.

Basic Member
    Yep .3-.4 out to do it with the 300WM. Very similar to the 6/6.5 ballistics.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Yeah, I found out about "nice quick numbers & quick to adjust" - First time out on a 200yd line. Torched one off and said "hmmmm, come up 6 inches." Grabbed that top knob and twisted.

The next 8 shots went over to top of the target before I figured out what I did.
    It's not a difficult concept. It's remembering THAT particular scope is in mils NOT MOA.
    So did all the shots make it thru that pipe all the way to the 200 yd mark Frank? lol

Basic Member
    No.
    In fact, if you go there you may notice on lane 28 the top of the bulkhead looks like it was hit with a few bullets.
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 09-24-2015 at 03:54 PM.

Basic Member
    Nice looking rig..Frank.

Basic Member
    Thanks Rosco.
    How're things up there in Ky?

Besides what I see on the news, I mean?

Team Savage
    Outstanding, looks great

Looks OK I guess, you will improve your building skills with time, Why are you building rifles that will pummel you when you are already all beaten up.

Nice Rig Franky Pooh

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Outstanding, looks great
    Thanks Jim.
    Been a while. Doing alright?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Looks OK I guess, you will improve your building skills with time, Why are you building rifles that will pummel you when you are already all beaten up.

Nice Rig Franky Pooh

Dean
    Quit being a butt nugget, you butt nugget.
    You need to get in touch with me for a brief but very meaningful discussion of critical nature.

Thanks for the attempt at complimenting my toy.
    Creep.

PM me your phone number and a good time to call tomorrow or Friday.
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 09-24-2015 at 03:55 PM.

ewwestsr
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Stevens 200 action
    H-S Precision stock
    CDI bottom goodies
    Hi, I would like more info on the items in the quote, as I have the exact same Stevens 200 in 300 win mag and want to convert to a drop bottom and change the stock.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx, Eric

Basic Member
    The H-S Precision stock is from Stocky's (about 45 minutes from where I live) - great people to deal with. Go on their website (stockysstocks.com) and punch in your info. The H-S precision will come up in 2 models. You can decide what you want to spend and pick a color.
    If you have questions, call them. The young lady that answers the phone is knowledgeable and polite.
    The CDI bottom metal was available at stocky's for the same price if it were from CDI direct.

And the Stevens 200 is the same as a Savage 110 action. It happened to be what I found in the bottom of the safe between 4 Axis actions and a couple spiders.

Nice! If it shoots half as well as it looks, that rifle should be a treat!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Nice! If it shoots half as well as it looks, that rifle should be a treat!
    Still in the experimenting stage with bullets. I built it specifically because I wanted to launch 200gr of 30 caliber goodness. So far, the 200gr Sierra MK's are on the money accurate with RL25.
    175 Nosler CC's with IMR7828 will punch a quarter sized hole with 5 rounds at 200.

Next test is 200gr Sierra Game King bullet.

I'm awfully tempted to see how fast I can get it to launch some 125gr Nosler BT. I have a few boxes that I don't use and thought it would be fun to "Scope Eye" a couple loads across the Chrony. See if I can get them to turn to dust as they exit the barrel.

All in all this has been a fun project. So much fun, I have the second barrel ready for the next project. Jim "Black Iron Pipe" Apache set me up with a 26" / .840" at the muzzle pipe for the next one.

Basic Member
    Kentucky is not to bad, thanks for asking. Good weather and plenty of squirrels!! Louisville and Kentucky football stink, the bourbon is still good and Kim Davis needs to get off the news.

If ever you do decide to launch some 125s, 80gr of RL17 is a good place to start.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I think we were talking about that on the phone the other day. I was hoping you had some magic combination for them.
    The 125 Nosler is kinda short which would allow a full case. Just wasn't sure about which powder would be best.

By the way, I just ordered a sturdy tripod for the Chrony I picked up last week. I'm curious / anxious to see what kind of speed it's got. I do notice when launching 200gr Sierra GK's there's a 2" drop from 100 to 300yds.
    Right now 300yds is the best I can do out at the swamp until the rainwater soaks in. Almost feels like laying in a rice paddy while trying to line up a shot.

D.ID
    Nice stick.
    That beast needs the 208 a-max .020 off the lands or the 230 berger .010 off the lands......mildly powered by h1000. You wouldn't believe it till you've tried it.

Basic Member
    I was going to recommend the 208Amax. Other choices 190 and 210gr SMK all with H1000

Basic Member
    Appreciate the input, guys.

I just completed another .308 that has been occupying my time so I haven't spent much time with "The Beast." I wanted a .308 for long range and finally finished it Saturday. First firing was yesterday. So far I'm impressed with 168 Nosler CC and RL15.

Pics to follow soon so you can see just how bad I suck at painting...