Thread: Model 11 VT review

Model 11 VT review

I picked up a Savage Model 11 VT at my local Dick’s Sporting Goods last week. I have to say that this is my first large caliber (.308 Win) rifle, most of my experience has been with pistols (9mm and .22LR) and .22LR rifles (Marlins, Sig and a Savage). The price was $575 (with a $50 MIR, I already burned my 10% off for opening a DSG credit card on a Beretta shotgun earlier this year).

This model ships with a 22” bull barrel and a Bushnell 3-12x40MM scope (I believe it is a “Banner” brand and the documentation that came with it said “Sharpshooter”). Right out of the box, it appeared that the scope installation wasn’t the best as the top turret wasn’t perpendicular to the bore of the rifle and this was proven by the same alignment of the crosshairs. This also immediately called the claim that the scope was “bore sighted” at the factory into question. This was further borne out by the 1st 3 rounds which were 12” low and 8 inches to the right at 25 yards. The bolt operation was extremely smooth as was the trigger.

Taking lessons learned from sighting in my Savage MkII, I selected a range of ammunition: Perfecta (great price at Walmart), American Eagle and Fusion off to the range I went. As mentioned earlier, the 1st 3 shots were W-A-Y off target BUT the shot group was decent (especially as I have never fired anything this large before). After 10 more rounds (all Perfecta), I was able to get the point of impact close to my point of aim, so the target was then moved out to 100 yards.

At 100 yards, the rifle was hitting 3 inches high as compared to 25 yards, I more adjustment, 3 more rounds and I was spot on to my point of aim (woohoo!). Now I could get down to seeing how accurate (and repeatable) this rifle was. At 100 yards (and zoom set to between 8 and 12x), the weakness of the scope rapidly became apparent: no matter how the AO was adjusted (from 10 to infinity), the image was unacceptably out of focus (I should note: at <8x, there was no problem but >8x, it went right in the tank). Because of this (and the lack of a spotting scope), out came the splatter targets and several walks down range.

Shooting for groups: while the scope’s images were fuzzy as hell, its ability to hold zero wasn’t. The remainder of the Perfecta ammo (which got hit and miss reviews online) knocked out just slightly above 1 MOA consistency. The American Eagle was about the same. The Fusion was slightly better than both. Comparing this to my skills with my MK II (which is consistently sub MOA), I am quite happy.

From an operational standpoint: the recoil on the Model 11 was significantly more stout than anything I had encountered short of a 12 ga pump with 3” loads. The trigger was the lightest pull that I have ever encountered (sorry no scale so I can’t tell you what the pull is) which was startling on a couple of my earlier shots. The trigger is also very crisp with no slop.

Overall, I am quite happy with my purchase but can see a new scope and rings in my near future (hear that Santa?). I want at least the quality of what I have on my other Savage which is a BSA Sweet 22 (I have had several scopes ranging from $50 to $400, this was a suggestion from a range master at competition and WOW it is the best scope I have had on it: holds zero perfectly, the BDC settings are spot on and image clarity is outstanding). After perusing this forum it looks like it might be one of the Primary Arms offerings (most of what I do is punch paper), I am open to suggestions on these or other options.

Basic Member
    Great review.

Nice! I have a 12FV, which, from what I can tell, is almost like the fixed magazine version of the 11VT. It's also a great shooter right out of the box, but your comment about recoil made me think of the last time I had it out along with my .300 Win Mag. The .308 beat me up a lot more than the Win Mag, which I mainly attributed to the latter's greater weight and muzzle brake. But I also think the Savage factory stocks are not well optimized for recoil. The combs seem to drop away at the heel, which allows the comb some more space to accelerate into the cheekbone or puts the toe of the stock in an uncomfortable position in the shoulder pocket (worse still if shooting from a bench...pinchy!)

Nice writeup as well. Please keep us updated on how it progresses!