Thread: Newbie Question on New Axis II

Paul7

Newbie Question on New Axis II

Hi everyone, first post. Just bought a new Axis II .30-'06 for a January off-range Oryx hunt here in NM. Really like the rifle, the Kaspa scope is so-so. Accuracy as is is just OK, yesterday I shot slightly under 3" at 200 yards. This will be a very occasional use/backup gun, my all-around hunting rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlight in 6.5x55 (not enough gun for Oryx) with a Zeiss Conquest scope. My question for the experts is given my purposes for it should I just leave the optics as they are or should I change them out? I'm one who believes if you can shoot 2" at 100 yards you aren't going to miss a game animal, especially one the size of an Oryx. I won't be taking any 500 yard shots.

Reeseman
    I don't claim to be an expert but I have looked thru the Kaspa on my nephews Axis and am not impressed . Usually the package deal scopes are low end optics . I have 2 Axis rifles that I hunt with , a .223 and a 30-06 . I used a scope rail with good rings and mounted the original Bushnell Legends on both that were good scopes in their day with Japanese glass. I want to know I have something dependable when hunting . My .223 came with a Bushnell Sharp Shooter that was a total piece of junk that I gave away . The 30-06 came bare and got them both on sale . Both have taken lots of game and are very dependable for low budget rifles . I like them because of their light weight and I don't worry about beating them up in thick cover or weather . For what it costs to go hunting I want decent equipment that I can depend on .

Paul7
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeseman View Post
    I don't claim to be an expert but I have looked thru the Kaspa on my nephews Axis and am not impressed . Usually the package deal scopes are low end optics . I have 2 Axis rifles that I hunt with , a .223 and a 30-06 . I used a scope rail with good rings and mounted the original Bushnell Legends on both that were good scopes in their day with Japanese glass. I want to know I have something dependable when hunting . My .223 came with a Bushnell Sharp Shooter that was a total piece of junk that I gave away . The 30-06 came bare and got them both on sale . Both have taken lots of game and are very dependable for low budget rifles . I like them because of their light weight and I don't worry about beating them up in thick cover or weather . For what it costs to go hunting I want decent equipment that I can depend on .
    OK, that makes sense. Any suggestions on a decent scope for a fair price? I hear the Redfield Revolution/Revenge are OK.

rcmark
    Sightron, Check out bigsupplyshop they have very good prices!

Basic Member
    6.5x55 isn't enough gun for an Oryx ?

Basic Member
    Not sure what your budget is but the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP at $229.99 is a great value.
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Paul7
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Not according to my guide, he won't go out with less than a minimum caliber. They're supposed to be really tough, unlike the cow elk I shoot with my 6.5x55.

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Not sure what your budget is but the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP at $229.99 is a great value.
    +1 for a great scope value that's got side focus and it's first focal plane to boot. have one on my axis hb .308 win.

for a fixed power scope, at $300 it's impossible to beat the uber rugged swfa s/s military scope, available from 6x to 20x, and 10x was the navy seal sniper standard.

LOL. Whatever! If the Creedmoor can do it I'm pretty sure the Swede can. Just sayin, http://gunsmagazine.com/a-rookie-goes-to-africa/

My question for the experts is given my purposes for it should I just leave the optics as they are or should I change them out?
    Since the Sako 6.5x55 "isn't enough gun for an Oryx" why not just put the Zeiss on the Axis and the Kaspa on the Sako?

I do understand your problem though. If the guide won't go out with "less than minimum" you don't have a choice...so guess your Axis is going Oryx hunting. But if it was my Axis, it would wear the Zeiss.
    Last edited by wbm; 10-19-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Reeseman
    Paul, both of my brothers have Redfield Revolutions mounted on deer rifles . They say they are clear and good in low light . They have generous eye relief also and offer a lifetime warranty .

Paul7
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    LOL. Whatever! If the Creedmoor can do it I'm pretty sure the Swede can. Just sayin, http://gunsmagazine.com/a-rookie-goes-to-africa/

Since the Sako 6.5x55 "isn't enough gun for an Oryx" why not just put the Zeiss on the Axis and the Kaspa on the Sako?

I do understand your problem though. If the guide won't go out with "less than minimum" you don't have a choice...so guess your Axis is going Oryx hunting. But if it was my Axis, it would wear the Zeiss.
    I kind of agree with you wbm, but my guide doesn't. I did find this from someone who has hunted them, which backs up my guide's thinking:

"I killed my 38" bull At White Sands NM in 1995. I shot him at about 150 yards with .30-06 using 180 TBBC bullets. The first round broke his on shoulder and double lunged him. he went down at the shot then got up and tri-podded for about 200 yards before going down again . I had to shoot him twice more to kill him. They are TOUGH."

Paul7
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeseman View Post
    Paul, both of my brothers have Redfield Revolutions mounted on deer rifles . They say they are clear and good in low light . They have generous eye relief also and offer a lifetime warranty .
    Reeseman, I'm thinking that's the way to go, I've heard a lot of good things about that scope also.

Paul7
    Just ordered a Redfield Revolution for $159 online.