Thread: Got my Black Nitrided 16/116 back!

Basic Member

Got my Black Nitrided 16/116 back!

I'm a fan of stainless steel's qualities but not overly fond of its shine, especially on a rifle. So I had my Weather Warrior nitrocarburized by H&M Metal Processing in Akron. I drove it up Wednesday and they called me Thursday afternoon that it was done. They always seem to do it that fast. I've had several pistols done by them. They do pretty much all the "black" finishes (call it whatever proprietary name you like) for OEM's so I find it amazing that they do my little projects pretty much instantly.

I'll have it all assembled and shooting this weekend so I'll take a few pictures before I put it back in the stock. Typically, Black Nitride makes stainless self lubricating so everything works much more smoothly any chance at galling is a thing of the past. Stainless also seems to be a bit softer than non-stainless alloys. That's also over with. A Black Nitride finish ends up about 70 rockwell or so...

They stress that this is not a coating. It's a metal processing or finish....OK, whatever. In case you haven't figured it out, I'm a real fan of this finish.

Basic Member
    waiting for the pics. also get a close up to show texture.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Do you have a point of contact for them, or web address.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Basic Member
    Here's the website. This a pretty large operation but it is a family owned business. http://www.blacknitride.com/aboutus.html

I've been looking closely at the finish and will take some close ups...it appears pretty flawless to me. The only thing you need to know is that you must completely disassemble the gun. There must be no two parts left together that can be taken apart. They do not do any gunsmithing of any kind. They are strictly a metal finishing company. There can be no springs left on the gun at all. The process destroys them. Did you know there is a ball bearing with a spring in the bolt collar?

It's difficult to tell from their website but a HUGE amount of their business is the firearms industry. This is not a company that just does guns on the side.