Thread: Just bought a 12 F Class in 6mm br.

Basic Member

Just bought a 12 F Class in 6mm br.

should be here monday or tuesday, had a hard time just finding dies to get started did get some cci primers match type, got plenty of varget, and some 107 smk's coming and some lapua brass, I will put my leupold 45x competition scope on it and will 0 at 600 yards for both f class and BR.

last wk was my first time at 600 with my rem 700 mil spec .308 5R, after sighting i shot 2 five shot group at .636 I had a good 3 shot group at 2.5 inches but wind blew my last 2 off about 8 inches so i dont count 3 shot groups sure wish that storm hadnt rolled in might been a good one.

any experience you have with this gun i would like to hear about it

Re: Just bought a 12 F Class in 6mm br.

No experience with the 12 F Class but do load the 6mm BR ( a work in progress since getting my Lothar Walther 1/8 twist barrel). e-mail me, gacop103@gmail.com, and I'll share data with you. I'm loading with Varget and Lapua brass.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

sounds good i plan on starting at 28gr of varget and going from there, will email you to see what you have learned mine is a 1/8 twist also 30 in long

82boy

My experience is the rifle needs a bit of work. The stock is shaped weird in the back and a special bag is needed to fit it correctly. The company that makes bags for it is Protektor. The barrel is too long, and makes the gun nose heavy.

I would cut the barrel down to 26 inches, that is all that is needed for a 6BR. Reworking the rear of the stock so that it would be thiner and like a normal stock would be an added benefit. I would glass bed the stock. I would also change out the BT bolt handle for a tactical bolt handle, Believe it or not, this will help with the target accu-trigger at lower settings. (Done it many times, and the outcome is always the same.)

The Leopold 45 is a great scope, but would not be my choice for a long range gun. I prefer a variable power scope that was you can back the power off, to see where the rounds are hitting, or for bad mirage days.

Basic Member

thanks for info, I have a burrins 8x32 not near as clear as 45x leupold and have tried cutting back in mirage never noticed any difference, and at 600 yards i cant see bullet holes with 60 power spoting scope, you can see holes at 600 yards ?

82boy

Depending on how the light is, depends on if you can see the holes or not through the scope. I use to use a Weaver T36 that is boosted to 45 power, and I could see 6mm holes when the light was just right. A friend of mine has a 12-42 Nightforce, (That is about as sweet as it gets!)and the light has to be just right for him to see then bullet holes at 600. I have seen days where the mirage was so bad, he would turn his Nightforce down to 16 power.

Basic Member

I just got my 6mm-BR about a month ago, had sorta the same set up 45X leupold, did not like how to set the Zero on the target Turrents, So I sent it back, The scope focused at 50 yards on the scope too and I was shooting 100 yards, dont get me wrong, I love leupolds but did not like this scope, got me a 12-42x56 BR Nightforce and Love it !! Not one complaint, glad I sent the Leupold back ! Anyways, I am not resposible for this load if you try it, but I did try allot of loads in this gun in a month, but this Load is hard to beat !! 29.7Gr of H 4895 and a Berger 105 VLD Target @ OAL of 2.389, To let you know how good it did, and I never shot a group like this, I got a 1.51" 5 shot Group at 500 yards, Tried the same powder with 105 Nosler competition and they shot around 3" at 500, still not bad, at $10 less for $100 bullets. Varget was actually my worst powder, I tried Norma 203B and Benchrest and also N150, Anyways I am shooting clay pigions at 500 yards and I dont miss, so give that load a try.

Sent you some loads to try. Your volocities will be a bit higher with your 30" barrel versus my 28".
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Try the gun first before you go whacking down the barrel and carving up the stock. Mine's a 6.5x284 and I love it. Shoots very good groups, and rides the bags very nicely. My opinion differs from 82boy's, I say who cares if the gun's nose heavy, it's a benchrest gun, not an off hand walk around gun. Once it's sitting on the rear bag and front rest, it's rock solid. I'm using the tall eared rear bag, and my rear bag is filled with lead shot. Works just fine for me.

I'm saving my pennies for another full bull 30" barrel in 6br for my bvss rifle. Now THAT puppy's gonna be nose heavy! I may fill the butt with lead shot on that one.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member

82boy, that will be my next scope the knight force, i would really like to set up a camera to laptop for practice days save alot of time but $1000 sucks
    slowpoke , i wont be doing any of that on my gun, like you heavy nose doesnt bother me
    smlzerolimit , i will try that once i break it in and thats some good shooting.
    Gacop ,Got your email, thanks

82boy

When I talk nose heavy it has nothing to do with off-hand shooting and it exclusively deals with shooting off of a rest on a bench, or benchrest. When the gun is unbalanced or nose heavy it will lift up in the rear bag as it recoils. This makes shooting free recoil impossible. The only way to shoot a gun like that is to pin it hard in the rest with your shoulder, or take you non-trigger hand, and lay it on top of the stock, and push it down into the bag. If you don&#39;t this when you have the rifle set up in the rest and bag, move it back and forth and watch the cross hairs, and the rear of the stock. There are other accuracy eliminating features of having a ultra long barrel as well but I will not get into them.

The other way to fix to the nose heavy issue would be remove the recoil pad, drill holes, and fill them full of lead, making the gun balanced. A IBS long range light gun has a weight limit of 17 lbs, I would get that gun as close as possible.

All I can say is this; you can do what you wan,t and if it works for you fine do it, but I find that the more stable and conferable a set up is the better you and it will shoot.

Basic Member

i will pay attention to that natureally, as you said the more comfortable you are the better accuracy you will have, I have to be really comfortrable to shoot good many times i put presure where it is needed on my bag to get the gun in the position needed for good placement, my bag has ears and is half BBs and half air soft little balls i rest my cheek with some down presure when needed and by squeezing the bag with non trigger hand i can get a stable platform with proper breething that i learned in 1966 with the M14, I do pretty fair for a ol guy just coming back to rifle after well over 30 years, i like the idea of filling stock with lead, we will see how it goes first day out, hope wed or thursday if my dies ,priimers and cases get here by tuesday will be good to go on thursday. thanks for all info.

Basic Member

one more thing anyone use the forster bushing neck bump die, i use it on my 308 and like it but i may try the redding since it goes in .001 increments unlike forster. I have lapua brass and 107 smk coming if that brass is as consistant as everyone says then possibly what you use might work for me on bushing size, the only set i could find in stock was a redding FLS and seater, those are coming from sinclair they also were the only ones who had brass but $6 higher then midway, Im going to put a couple hundred more on order thru zanders on back order

I normally buy my Lapua brass from Bruno&#39;s. His prices are usually better than everyone else&#39;s. I don&#39;t know if he has 6br in stock now, but he does carry it. I&#39;m using Lapua brass in my 6.5x284 and in my 6tcu (223 case). So far my experience with the brass has been as good as everyone says it is. Very consistent, with no "work" needed. I think you will be pleased.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchan...tegory_Code=7L

Bruno&#39;s website says he&#39;s out, but I don&#39;t know how often he has it updated.

I must have my front rest farther forward that 82boy does? My butt stays parked in the bag when I slide it forward and back. And yes, you will LOVE the NF, I do!
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member

added bruno to list, thanks