Thread: 110 .338 Lapua > .338 Edge Build

Basic Member

110 .338 Lapua > .338 Edge Build

Shot out the barrel on my 110 FCP .338 Lapua and have decided to make the switch to .338 Edge. I've already ordered the barrel from Pac-Nor as well as some new dies and brass.

I understand that the Edge is based on the .300 RUM (aka 338-300 Ultra), and that is where my question comes in. Will I need to switch to a smaller bolt face given that the case head diameter of the Lapua (.585ish) is larger than that of the RUM (.540ish)? Or will the smaller diameter case work with the larger bolt head and extractor? Are there any other considerations I should be making?

I willl continue to update this thread with my progress, although the rifle is already done for the most part

[I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    The bolt heads are different. Not only is the case head size different but the bolt head thickness are different between the Lapua and Magnum bolt heads.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but IMO you should have stayed with the LM. You can get brass for it, you already had brass, assuming it wasn't done. I assume you had dies for it. And there really isn't a noticeable performance difference to justify it. RUM brass is next to impossible to find.

That said, I wish you the best of luck with it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpig View Post
    The bolt heads are different. Not only is the case head size different but the bolt head thickness are different between the Lapua and Magnum bolt heads.
    That's what I was thinking originally. Thank you for confirming.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Not trying to burst your bubble, but IMO you should have stayed with the LM. You can get brass for it, you already had brass, assuming it wasn't done. I assume you had dies for it. And there really isn't a noticeable performance difference to justify it. RUM brass is next to impossible to find.

That said, I wish you the best of luck with it.
    I was going back and forth with it and I could still probably switch if I wanted to. Pac-Nor hasn't started on my barrel yet and I'm sure I could sell of the Edge dies that I ordered.

I'm going to need some new brass for the Lapua. I'm on my 10th firing with these cases and some of them are starting to show a little fatigue. I did order some dies for the Edge and I already have about 50 unfired RUM cases, but you're right, it's hard to find that stuff. I realize the performance of the two cases is pretty much identical, but I haven't had great accuracy results with the Lapua thus far, and that was my main reasoning for the switch.

Guess it might be worth staying with the Lapua since it will be easier/cheaper for me, but the Edge has always intrigued me... Guess I thought it might be good time for a change.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

I tell you one thing you are never going to get 10 firings out of your EDGE brass, no matter who's it is 5 firings is the typical life expectancy.
    No matter how easy you are on it.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    I was going back and forth with it and I could still probably switch if I wanted to. Pac-Nor hasn't started on my barrel yet and I'm sure I could sell of the Edge dies that I ordered.

I'm going to need some new brass for the Lapua. I'm on my 10th firing with these cases and some of them are starting to show a little fatigue. I did order some dies for the Edge and I already have about 50 unfired RUM cases, but you're right, it's hard to find that stuff. I realize the performance of the two cases is pretty much identical, but I haven't had great accuracy results with the Lapua thus far, and that was my main reasoning for the switch.

Guess it might be worth staying with the Lapua since it will be easier/cheaper for me, but the Edge has always intrigued me... Guess I thought it might be good time for a change.
    I guess that's up to you. The reason I built at Edge is because I could do it on a regular magnum action. Kind of a poor mans Lapua. If I already owned a Lapua, I'm 99% sure I wouldn't switch to an Edge. Brass availability is horrendous, and like Dean said, you'll NEVER get that many firings on Edge brass, unless it's Bertram, and even then, I'd think 10 would be pushing it (not to mention it's $3-4/case).

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I tell you one thing you are never going to get 10 firings out of your EDGE brass, no matter who's it is 5 firings is the typical life expectancy.
    No matter how easy you are on it.

Dean
    Did you ever get any Bertram to try? I wanted to try it, but I just can't seem to justify the money for it.

Basic Member
    You guys are making a pretty good case for staying with the Lapua. Seems anyone else you ask says Edge. That's a good point about building it on a standard magnum action, there isn't much point for me to go smaller other than pressures are lower in the Edge.

It's almost worth it to stay with the Lapua solely because of brass availability.

You guys are making a pretty good case for staying with the Lapua. Seems anyone else you ask says Edge. That's a good point about building it on a standard magnum action, there isn't much point for me to go smaller other than pressures are lower in the Edge.

It's almost worth it to stay with the Lapua solely because of brass availability.
    Brass availability and number of firings are exactly the reason to stay. In my opinion anyway.

Basic Member
    I was able to get the barrel switched to Lapua so I guess that's what I'll do at this point. Never thought I would say this but I'm happy to go online and only spend $200 on 100 cases, LOL.

I was able to get the barrel switched to Lapua so I guess that's what I'll do at this point. Never thought I would say this but I'm happy to go online and only spend $200 on 100 cases, LOL.
    HAH! Nice. I hope you don't regret your decision, but I really don't think you will. If I had to make that decision now, I'd honestly stick with the LM 100 times out of 100. I think you made a good decision. Did you get my PM about the RUM brass?

Basic Member
    HAH! Nice. I hope you don't regret your decision, but I really don't think you will. If I had to make that decision now, I'd honestly stick with the LM 100 times out of 100. I think you made a good decision. Did you get my PM about the RUM brass?
    Nah, I think I'll be happy in the long run if I can get some good accuracy out of it! I'm dying to take her out to 1500 yards. Thanks for talking some sense into me

I did get your message and just replied. Thanks again for the comments gents.

Basic Member
    I guess that's up to you. The reason I built at Edge is because I could do it on a regular magnum action. Kind of a poor mans Lapua. If I already owned a Lapua, I'm 99% sure I wouldn't switch to an Edge. Brass availability is horrendous, and like Dean said, you'll NEVER get that many firings on Edge brass, unless it's Bertram, and even then, I'd think 10 would be pushing it (not to mention it's $3-4/case).

Did you ever get any Bertram to try? I wanted to try it, but I just can't seem to justify the money for it.
    Seems REM brass is a wash w/ Bertram considering $$ and number of fired rounds.. However, there's other factors to consider.. weight / wall thickness consistency ,etc..

drt4lfe
    Barrett sells 338 Lapua once fired cases at a good price.....

Basic Member
    Update: Action is going to Accurate Ordnance this week to be trued. Barrel has been taken off and I'm just waiting on the new one to come in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bginvestor View Post
    Seems REM brass is a wash w/ Bertram considering $$ and number of fired rounds.. However, there's other factors to consider.. weight / wall thickness consistency ,etc..
    Yeah, I have a feeling that neither of them will compare to Lapua brass though. I'm on my 10th firing with mine, half of them shooting max loads + .5 grains and the majority of them show no signs of fatigue. Primer pockets are as tight as they were new, no case head separation, the stuff is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by drt4lfe View Post
    Barrett sells 338 Lapua once fired cases at a good price.....
    I'll probably stick with buying brand new brass as it's really not much more expensive. The difference in price is worth the peace of mind for me.

Basic Member
    This guy has been getting all the attention while the .338 is getting worked