Thread: Savage Bear Hunter 300 win mag reloading help

Strutnut

Savage Bear Hunter 300 win mag reloading help

I just bought the above rifle and plan on pushing it a bit. I have bought 5 boxes of Winchester loaded ammo for barrel break in and for the brass. I plan on reloading for this rifle and was wondering what everyone had good luck with as far as bullets and powder. I am interested in trying out the Berger 215's in it with H1000 as a start but looking to see what everyone else has had luck with first. I bought this rifle for all around hunting from 20 yards - 1000. I have a EGW HD base, Seekings rings, Holland Level and a NightForce NSX 3x15 moa going on it.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Well the 300 Win mag is certainly a good choice of cartridge for what your contemplating at least for the long end of it.
    Although id personaly have another gun for the closer stuff. As for bullets, Berger does make fine bullets, but i dont reccomend
    staying home if you cant find any. You might be surprised to know the world somehow managed before they became a household word.
    If your gun likes them better then use them, if not then use what the gun likes. Id suggest you try 190s in the gun also. You will find they
    shoot flatter out to beyond 1000 yds than will the 215s. That due to the additional velocity.

Basic Member
    Might try the 208gr Amax. I've heard a lot of really good things about them although I have not tried them.

Basic Member
    A few things to consider:
    1: not sure what the barrel length of your bear Hunter is, but most of the people that are having success with the 215 are using at least a 26" if not a 28" barrel. You mite not be able to get the velocity you want out of a shorter barrel.
    2. The 215 is CRAZY LONG! It's a possibility that using the 215s at the oal that you want would make your rifle a single shot, or seating the bullet deep enough to fit in your magazine would cut way down on your case capacity.
    3. I agree with yobuck, if you have a 22-24" barrel you mite consider something in the 190 gr range. A 190 Sierra matching is a classic bullet for the win mag, however not a hunting bullet. I have used my exact load for the 190smk, with the Berger 185 classic Hunter with good results on game. 73gr of H4831sc at 2940fps out of a 24" barrel.
    4: I have also herd very good things about the 208 amax and would love to try it. If your going to keep it under 1K yards, and looking for an all around bullet, don't overlook the very proven Sierra Gameking in 180 or 200

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure their will be critics, good luck
    -Leo

Strutnut
    Thanks for the info so far! Yes, for the 215 I would be using it as a single shot. Some great advice here on other alternatives as well. I wanted to try a couple 3-4 proven loads and then tweak my way to my particular rifles sweet load and stick with it. I was just on the Hornady site as I understand they have something new in bullet design that they are announcing next week that I will likely also try. That 208 amax looked interesting and was really thinking of comparing it to the Bergers. I have also had good luck with Sierra bullets in the past too.

Will you be hunting black bear?

Basic Member
    This military uses both the Sierra 190 and 210gr MK in their 300WM loads, although they are probable a lot hotter than you want to shoot. They prove to be quite accurate.

Basic Member
    Well lets not get into wether or not the smks can be used for hunting. I dont currently own a 300 win mag,
    but im driving 190 smks at 3300 plus with a 30" barreled 300 norma. I also for about 30 years used 200 smks
    driven at 3500 in a 36" barreled 30x378. Im also using 300 smks in my 338 chey tec.

Basic Member
    Is your Bear Hunter a 23" barrel?

Strutnut
    21 with the brake to get to 23. I have seen some great groupings on Youtube at distances. I got it all put together and hit the range Saturday and it did really well with factory Winchester 189 gr PP but I know it can do better ant the BC on the PP bullet isnt so hot so it kind of looses it at distance. I understand Hornady has a new Long Range Hunting Bullet they are announcing tomorrow. Might try that too. Thanks for the help so far!

Basic Member
    Ya! I'm excited to here about the "breakthrough" as well. Glad to hear the rifle is shooting well! My only additional thought is:
    Since you only have a 21" barrel you may want a quicker burning powder than the slow burning H1000 that's needed for the heavier bullets.
    If I had a 21" barrel I'd probably give H4831 and something in the 180-190 weight range a try. That barrel mite not be able to burn all of the slow burning powder needed for the 30 cal "heavies"

Strutnut
    Good point. I thought of that too. Some say it shouldnt be an issue, others think it might be pushing it. I know I want to use bullets with better bc than what I am used to reloading so I can get the most out of this set up. I have just read so many great reports about the 215 Hybrid with H1000 I figured I would have to at least give it a try!

I will be using this rifle for about anything I would hunt in North America for now. Deer, elk, moose and black bear for sure. I wanted a one gun do it all so this is the route I went. I might go pure Long Range on the next one and get something in a .338 class. .338 Edge looks interesting.