Thread: Anyone installed the PTG Nat Lambeth bolt lift kit?

Basic Member

Anyone installed the PTG Nat Lambeth bolt lift kit?

I was looking at the PTG Nat Lambeth bolt lift kit. I've read a few things about what's required to install it and I'm a bit confused...condition normal here. Does it require machining the bolt? I understand it may not be a drop in but can a mortal install it?

I'm interested in hearing an answer to this too.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Waste of time and money. Easier & cheaper to do the 38 Special cut down case & ball bearing mod. The threaded section of Bolt Action screw is same length as Savage BAS, then add thickness of disc & bolt lift increases. Sav BAS has 14 threads I cut the PTG down to nine threads & played with adjustment, guess what happened, nice bolt lift, light primer strikes. Keep in mind that when decreasing bolt lift that firing pin spring pressure decreases & may lead to light primer strikes.
    Good for increasing strength of weak firing pin spring, but new spring cost a lot less.
    That is my experience with one.

Basic Member
    I got the bolt lift kit from Stockade which is essentially the .38 Special case head with a ball bearing. Install is pretty straight forward, but you do need to machine the bolt assembly screw in order to really feel any noticeable difference. As short round said, just measure from the top of the ball bearing seated in the case head and that's how much you need to take off the BAS.

My bolt lift more crisp than it was, albeit requires about the same amount of force to lift it. I would say I noticed a difference because it's smoother more than anything, but don't expect it to get rid of that heavy Savage bolt lift completely.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member
    I never had a problem with bolt lift when I went to a larger bolt knob and handle. Then I would polish the cocking ramp. My bolts were always light and smooth without a lot of work.

I did the .38SPCL and ball bearing bolt lift kit and then made a washer from a piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe which I cut and then filed the exact distance of the piece I installed. I then polished the outside of the washer I made for a nice finish. This eliminated the need to trim the bolt assembly screw and kept the geometry to factory spec with the only change being reduced friction from the ball bearing. It works very well and I'm in it for the cost of a ball bearing. I think it was 16 cents from my local hardware store.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

lrshooting
    +1 on 38 special mod. Altho I might switch to thrust washers you can get from mcmaster carr. Not for performance but because I like the look better. However, I am probably going to feel more confident with the single bearing 38 case just because it doesn't have the potential to lock up