Thread: 257 AI in which Action

Basic Member

257 AI in which Action

What would work best for a 257 Roberts Improve? The Long or shot Axis action?

Basic Member
    The axis will work for both long and short action calipers. You can also change the original bolt head to match the case.

Basic Member
    The .257 Roberts is a long action cartridge and should work fine in the Axis. To what jnox was pointing out, all Axis actions have the same center to center screw spacing of 4.718'' and work with both Long(30-06,25-06) and Short(.308.223, 22-250 etc..) action cartridges. The differences are in the magazines, mag well size, bolt heads and trigger guards. So for your build, a take-off stock and magazine from a 30-06/25-06 should work just fine. If you are ordering a Boyd's then the Long Action Axis version is what you would need.

Assuming you have your barrel, tools, and headspace gauges you should be ready to go!!
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    The difficulty will be finding a long action box magazine other than the awful stock mag from savage. I haven't found a good aftermarket option for my LA.

Quote Originally Posted by jknox1030 View Post
    The difficulty will be finding a long action box magazine other than the awful stock mag from savage. I haven't found a good aftermarket option for my LA.
    I don't know what you guys who have problems with the stock magazine are doing to yours to break them, but I've yet to have a single problem with any of mine in the last 4 years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    The only mag problem encountered with either of my Axis rifles was that the .270's had the little metal tab at the rear broken off when I bought it and got it home -- a casualty I assume happened when it was on display at Walmart. A call to Savage and I had a new, free replacement in 3 days. Zero problems since.