Thread: Savage Stainless 116 action strength

Basic Member

Savage Stainless 116 action strength

Hello everybody, it's been a while. I've got my wildcat (7mm Valkyrie) finished except for some minor cosmetics. I am having great success. It appears that I'm the limiting factor in the potential accuracy of this rig. I have shot a .110" 3 shot group (from 50 yds.) once.

I've been using the 7mm STW as a basic load guide since the caliber and the case volumes are very similar. I've gotten to the point that with my 30" barrel that I'm getting anywhere from 100 to 250 fps. more than the manual lists for the STW or even the 7mm Wby. with no signs of pressure what so ever. I'm at the point where I need to know how much pressure the Savage Stainless 116 action can withstand on a regular basis as well as a maximum pressure, both preferably both in P.S.I. Does anyone know where I can get this type of info that was directly generated by reliable equipment? It seems that someone told me that "Ohler" probably makes this type of equipment. If so, and someone has it I would be happy to compensate whomever for their time as long as it's not too bad. I'd prefer to discuss it beforehand.

Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I don't get to the forums as much as I used to, so, the best way to get a message to me is via my e-mail neese.paul@yahoo.com if you just leave a note I would be glad to come to this forum to get the info.

Again thank You All Very much, Paul

Might want to talk to "chuckhammer". http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...d-7mm-Valkyrie
    Last edited by wbm; 10-10-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Basic Member
    I am in touch with chuckhammer on a fairly regular basis. I don't doubt his opinion one bit, after all, he and Dave Kiff (PTG) got together and modified the 7mm Practical which had been done years ago but was brought back by Nathan Foster (Terminal Ballistics Research) and it doesn't hurt to get multiple opinions and/or test results. When I'm setting off the equivalent of a half stick of dynamite 6" in front of my face, I'll never turn down any reasonable source of information and any will be greatly appreciated, and wbm thank you for the effort and response.

I'm curious about how many people are playing with the 7 mm Valkyrie that is based on the 300 Win. Mag. case. Apparently there's another 7 Valkyrie because I recieved a go gauge that was for a 7 Val. that was .500 x 1.000" if I remember correctly, that was over a year ago.

Thanks again wbm, everyone have a good one, Paul

Not sure it's relevant, but I'm running a 338 Edge with 93gr of H1000 behind a Berger 300 hybrid in a regular 110/111 action.

No, I do not know the strength in psi but staying under 70k should keep you quite safe.

There is a another 7mm Valkerie, set up to run in small chassis AR platforms.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Mr Upslidedown, the fact that the action withstands a .338 Edge, 93 gr. of H-1000 and a 300 gr. Berger doesn't hurt my feelings one bit thanks. By the way, what's the muzzle velosity of that monster?
    Jamie, I really do plan to stay well under 70K psi. That's why I'm trying to get the info now. I'm already well above the book velosities listed and as I said earlier I am running a 30" tube, so I know that that's some of the increase. Even at these speeds I'm not seeing any signs of pressure at all and it seems that I ought to be seeing a little something somewhere. I'm at the max loads for the 7 STW and it's only getting better the faster I push it.

Well, thanks everybody, and any additional info will be appreciated, Paul

30" tube. Roughly 2825 fps