Thread: Set trigger for axis?

Basic Member

Set trigger for axis?

I've done the spring and shim mod on both of my Axis, .308 and 7mm-08. 3.2 Lb ,no creep, stable and repeatable. very good for their intended purpose. Now for the hard question.

I'm building a cased switch barrel set to include a 7.62 X 25, 22 TCM, 9mm,.223, 9mm, 300 blackout. What I'd really like to have is a single set trigger, about 4 Lbs un-set and 2-6 OZ set. A double set trigger would work as well, I suppose, but I prefer the simplicity of a single set type.

Have any of you guys ever seen a set trigger for the AXIS, 10, 110 action or one that could be adapted?

Thanks, Paul

Basic Member
    I don't know of any outfits that make set triggers for anything anymore.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

rfd12fv
    while my bpcr and ml rifles all have double set triggers, imho, and for me, the best axis trigger is still the timney. ymmv.

Basic Member
    Yes, I agree, the timney Is a fine trigger. However, neither of mine will set to ounces, safely. For my nickel, nothing is quite as sweet as the single set in my Winchester low wall. I'd really like to have that feel in an AXIS. (or my 110, for that matter)

Thanks for the reply,

Paul

rfd12fv
    i've installed timney's in two axis rifles, and both could safely be set under a pound.

Basic Member
    ^^^ really? I have done quite a bit of trigger work on those and model 10's, and have never had any luck with the Axis when going that low. I find that if I do, I get problems with the safety.

For example, when on safe, if I pull the trigger real hard, then push safety forward to the "off" position, it "fires". That condition concerns me because I have, on MANY occasions, while attempting to shoot a buck, forgotten to switch off the safety and pulled like heck on the trigger before realizing what I was doing wrong. If I then had the trigger set the way I described it here, it would definitely go off when "coming to my senses" and slipping the safety off. I have not yet figured a way to resolve this issue with the Axis triggers, and I have tried it on quite a few of them.

rfd12fv
    i have another axis coming, an hb model in .223rem, and another timney as well. perhaps i can show ya how it safely comes together under a pound.

fwiw, the basix trigger sez it'll do a pound, and i've heard of at least one feller getting in under that number. but then again, so what (?).

though i do prefer the timney, it just has a crisper "broken glass" feel to me, and just about a pound usually works best.

rifles and triggers are all somewhat unique, and to each their own as perceived by their owner/shooters.

actually, lazy man white powder rifles aren't my main firearm thing - bpcr's with double set triggers are what i shoot weekly.

www.BuffaloRifles.org

Basic Member
    Foxx, That's the same experience I've had, I can't seem to get a crisp sub 1 pound letoff and still be bump, slap and cycle safety safe.
    I've never had a problem achieving that with any single set FCG.

Paul