Thread: Mark II FVT

rfd12fv

Mark II FVT

Looking for an iron sight .22LR for plinking fun out to 100 yards or so, and looking for comments on the FVT ... or other Savage choices?

Stonewall_Jackson
    The plastic stock Savages need better stocks. F designates a plastic stock BTW. But a person can buy a FV for under $200 these days and then you can swap the stock for a Boyds stock for a lot cheaper than buying a MkII that already has a Boyds stock on it. I saw a FV selling for $170 on Buds. Their Boyds MkII models were over 400 bucks. I didn't look at the FVT though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall_Jackson View Post
    The plastic stock Savages need better stocks. F designates a plastic stock BTW. But a person can buy a FV for under $200 these days and then you can swap the stock for a Boyds stock for a lot cheaper than buying a MkII that already has a Boyds stock on it. I saw a FV selling for $170 on Buds. Their Boyds MkII models were over 400 bucks. I didn't look at the FVT though.
    Since youve taken the name of a confederate hero, tell us how he came to get that name?
    And can you also tell us how he died?
    No Googleing lol.

rfd12fv
    for the most part, i have no problem with most synth stocks that are the likes of savage and ruger. a pound or so of rockite fixes them right quick. and, after having way more than a few boyd's stocks, a rocked stock (both fore end and butt) will be just as stiff, and with some adjustable amount of added weight. so the tupperware stock thingy isn't really an issue for me, ymmv.

all a moot point as i sprung for a mark II FVXP instead.

Stonewall_Jackson
    Since youve taken the name of a confederate hero, tell us how he came to get that name?
    And can you also tell us how he died?
    "There stands Jackson like a great stone wall," was I believe the words used when Jackson was leading one company that was no retreating when everyone else on the confederate side was running. The battle was the first Bull Run battle I believe - or Mananas Junction if you will.

He was killed after returning late after yet another huge victory. He had been scouting to see where the union army had stopped running so he could be ready to continue the battle. But it was getting dark and as he approached the confederate lines he was shot by a confederate soldier standing guard. He died not long after that from pneumonia that he contracted while recovering from the wound and from the amputation of his arm. BTW his arm was buried one place and his body buried in another place.

Jackson was a genius commander and might well have made the outcome of the Civil War completely differently. He won against overwhelming odds time after time. The union army was scared to death of him and the confederates that followed him felt invincible. Time after time he showed up where the Union army leaders thought it was impossible for him to be. He attacked a huge encampment located on top of a ridge line and decimated a far larger force by catching the long line of sleeping union soldiers before they realized what the commotion was. I believe that was the battle when he ended up being shot. The whole world might be different if he hadn't taken friendly fire and died from his wounds.

I was a history major in college and I wrote a paper on Jackson once. For a guy that was lost as a teacher in the classroom he sure knew his way around a battlefield.
    Last edited by Stonewall_Jackson; 10-10-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Basic Member
    Well thanks for the responce, i now know more about him than before i asked the questions. lol
    Was it not Lee who upon observing him during battle gave him the name?

Stonewall_Jackson
    It was Brig. Gen. Barnard Elliott Bee, Jr. that gave him the name (now that I was able to look it up ). And Jackson was in charge of a brigade, not a company. It was Col. Jackson at the time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall_Jackson View Post
    It was Brig. Gen. Barnard Elliott Bee, Jr. that gave him the name (now that I was able to look it up ). And Jackson was in charge of a brigade, not a company. It was Col. Jackson at the time.
    So can you also tell me what calvery officer initiated the frightening rebel yell while attacking?

Stonewall_Jackson
    I believe no one really knows how the yell got started. From what I understand it was adapted from tactics used by Indians. BTW there are recordings of Confederate soldiers doing the yell. Not from the war of course but at reunions etc.. There are several videos of them. Here's one if you're interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6jSqt39vFM