Thread: 111 trophy 30-06 or 11vt 308

keith

111 trophy 30-06 or 11vt 308

Been to Dick's, which one would be the best for overall and upgrading ? Help

Hi Keith, and welcome to the forum. It all depends on what you really want to do with the rifle. The 30-06 is a "long action" and the 308 is a "short action" You can convert a long action to many of the short action calibers, but not the other way around. Spend some time searching the forum and learn from the vast amount of information that is available here, then go ahead and buy both of them. It will happen eventually, so you might as well get it over with and only make the wife mad once.

Basic Member
    ^^^This^^^

keith
    Thank you. Been looking awhile . Wanted to start shooting long distance. Heard good things about savage. What do you recomend ?

lrshooting
    Get a long action. Big mistake I made was getting the short action as it really limits your options.

2 digit numbers are short, while 3 are long. The last two digits usually represent what line. 110 or 10 is usually law enforcement, 111 or 11 is basically an econo or package deal line. 116 or 16 is stainless steel. 112 and 12 are target actions.

Depending on how long you're talking, most of savage rifles can do well. I would personally rather build a gun. You can get more for the same money sometimes. Problem is that it gets addicting real quick

I have two long actions, an old 111 in 30-06 and a 116 in .270 that I plan to convert to .308 one of these days. Many of the guys on this forum shoot competition at distances farther than I can see. Hours of great reading, but be forwarned, the more you learn, the more ideas you will have about what you want to do. It can get totally out of control very easily. Something a simple as having a spare part laying around, be it a scope, a barrel, etc. has been known to cause people to buy yet another gun to put it on.

jamesburke
    What do you won't to do with the rifle in the long run.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolthead View Post
    I have two long actions, an old 111 in 30-06 and a 116 in .270 that I plan to convert to .308 one of these days. Many of the guys on this forum shoot competition at distances farther than I can see. Hours of great reading, but be forwarned, the more you learn, the more ideas you will have about what you want to do. It can get totally out of control very easily. Something a simple as having a spare part laying around, be it a scope, a barrel, etc. has been known to cause people to buy yet another gun to put it on.
    +1 very addictive habit. Besides you learn so much and realize that there is a reason some things cost so much and you buy them. For example, I thought anything over 100$ was big money for a scope. I thought paying 400$ for a Millet trs was gonna kill me. Did a lot of reading and ended up popping $1000 on a vortex and I'm already thinking about trading it for a razor or night force ATACRs. Plus im not even 100% done with my build and I already have a 2nd barrel on order from krieger to chamber into a 7mm Sherman short mag

Get a NightForce and you won't go back!

2nd, Either caliber is great for hunting in the lower 48.

I have both, but accuracy wise past 400 yards, I use my 308.

JMO
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Welcome Keith. As others said above, it all depends on what you want to do. You mentioned long range and that could mean target shooting. If that is so, you may decide you don't need a magazine. I shoot my 30/06 on a short action because I have no need of magazines. All my Savages are single load. And how long-long range? If you're going to shoot Palma (1,000yds) they require 308win. The 308 starts to get tired at about 900yds, so Palma shooters have to consider bullet BC and enough initial velocity to insure super sonic past 1,000yds. If your shooting long range for fun, the 30/06 will keep on gettin it way past 1,000.

So, just to be safe, you better buy both ! :-)

After all, You ask, and we here are "ENABLERS" ! :-)

Good Luck-Good Shooting ... Jim :-)

lrshooting
    I didn't see any particular reason why you want those calibers...have you looked at a 6.5 creedmore? You might have to look at other models but in general, the actions are pretty well the same except bolt release location and if it target action or not. One thing you need to do is expand out from the most basic calibers. I think you will be much more satisfied finding what cartridge will fit you best, then find a gun chambered in it or build one.

keith
    Thanks everybody. Great information. I seen Gander had the 10/110 with a $50.00 mail in rebate. Would this be good for a rookie to target shoot with?

Any of the Savage rifles would work just fine to put some holes in a target at 100 yards. When you get good at that, then you can start to reach out farther. One thing to consider is recoil. I love shooting my 30-06 because it has such a cool attitude. My .270 has a bit sharper recoil, and since my shoulder is going to turn 65 in a few months, it is going to become a .308. Main thing is just get one and carry it to the range and shoot the crap out of it. I've only been shooting Savage centerfire for a couple of years, and every time I go to the range I learn something new from the rifle and my fellow shooters. No matter which Savage you get first, you will not regret it.

Youll be fine with either one of those. I personally like the long actions for the aforementioned reasons. Like bolthead said, just go out and shoot it and enjoy it. I will say that putting alot of rounds down the pipe of either one of those might be a little rough on the shoulder.
    Keep us posted on what you decide to do!
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.