Thread: 1st time out

Blackbird94

1st time out

Took my new Axis .223 w/ scope to the range today. I am a little disappointed. The 100 yd range was full of people sighting in deer rifles so we went to the 50yd. Hung an 11x17 sight in target. 1st 4 rounds, at least 30" below paper. Finally got it up to the bulls eye and started hitting 2 " groups. How ever, Had at least 4-5 times the bolt locked up on extraction. Had to tap it to get the spent round out. To the rifles defense, I was using Tulammo, cheapest I could find to do sight in so I put a lot of the blame there, and the problem didn't start till after 12 rounds. A small rest after 10, so I'm sure it was getting hot. Also , Yes the rifle was cleaned and lubed before we went. I hope this bolt problem isn't a recurring situation. Overall pretty good but I was expecting more.

savagetoter
    Sorry to hear about your Axis not performing up to standards, but Tul steel is not really the ammo for that one...I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir about that. About the only guns I run Tul through is my M91/30's.

Blackbird94
    I have a nephew that shoots NRA long distance competition all bolt action. Was taking with him. He "forgot" to tell me that the Tulammo has a lacquer coating. That is what was heating up and sticking. clean the bore with thinner and I'll be good to go. The rest is just Practice and getting it sighted in properly. Overall, I like the gun a lot. It will do what I plan to do with it.

Basic Member
    Realize I may be stepping on toes here, if so, sorry in advance.
    Buy good ammo and shoot it. It will shoot much better through your gun and the results will be much more pleasing.
    Bulk for cheap is not the way to go for bolts, IMO. Shooting ammo that's really designed to be burned through in an AR session is really not what you want long term.
    Buy some 50-55 grain factory(name brand) SP ammo (unless you handload) and see what happens. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. There is no need to be running FMJ ammo through a bolt 223 IMO.
    I know you can buy Tul, Perfecta etc for low dollars but you're not doing yourself a favor in the long run. You may wind up with some pretty corrosive stuff from that ammo going through the rifle and that will shorten the life and enjoyment of the rifle barrel.
    I'll bet with good ammo that group size will cut in half easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey7271 View Post
    Realize I may be stepping on toes here, if so, sorry in advance.
    Buy good ammo and shoot it. It will shoot much better through your gun and the results will be much more pleasing.
    Bulk for cheap is not the way to go for bolts, IMO. Shooting ammo that's really designed to be burned through in an AR session is really not what you want long term.
    Buy some 50-55 grain factory(name brand) SP ammo (unless you handload) and see what happens. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. There is no need to be running FMJ ammo through a bolt 223 IMO.
    I know you can buy Tul, Perfecta etc for low dollars but you're not doing yourself a favor in the long run. You may wind up with some pretty corrosive stuff from that ammo going through the rifle and that will shorten the life and enjoyment of the rifle barrel.
    I'll bet with good ammo that group size will cut in half easily.
    Ditto. Rifle performed as expected. You put junk into the rifle and you get junk out of the rifle.
    More shooting, less typing.

Rocket99
    Nice work