Thread: Axis .223 ammo?

Axis .223 ammo?

Greetings. I obtained a new Savage Axis .223 today. The barrel is stamped .223 of course. My question is will 5.56 work in this rifle? I've had other rifles that were 'marked' .223/5.56. I hesitate to use 5.56 in a barrel marked .223 rem until I can get a definite answer. Going to the range tomorrow to sight in the scope. From reviews I've read I think I'm going to like this rifle. Thanks.

Bolt actions have thicker chambers. It will shoot them with no problems. My Axis .223 loves 62 gr. Green tip M855

thunderhand
    I wouldn't but that's up to you, 556 will shoot 223 no issue.. i have been advised on multiple boards not to put 556 in 223 labeled firearm , sure it will fit but i wont do it..

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/con...mington-rounds
    http://bearingarms.com/223-remington...ould-hurt-you/
    http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/ar-1...56mm-chambers/

Basic Member
    223 Chamber Pressure 55,000 psi
    5.56 Chamber Pressure 62,000 psi

If you want to risk your well being on 7,000 psi, that's your think, but I wouldn't, unless its a 223 wylde which will hold the additional pressure.

Basic Member
    Congratulations on your new purchase! +1 about shooting 5.56, not worth the risk. I know it's tempting, lot's of cheap ammo in that caliper, but some ranges don't allow FMJ ammo, so check before you go. American Eagle tipped varmint shoots very well out of my Model 12, will probably do well in yours. I buy them online here http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...0/category/48/
    I see they're $5.99 per 20.
    Good luck at the range!

Reeseman
    Several people who shoot high volume that I shoot with including myself shoot lots of 5.56 in our Savages and Remington 700's with no issues . The barrels are more than capable of handling the 5.56 pressure difference . Have been told this by several reputable gunsmiths and shooters . I have never seen anybody have a problem with 5.56 if it fits the chamber . I probably have 2000 rounds of 5.56 thru my 11VT and my Axis Heavy barrel . My Remington 700 is shot out but has had thousands of rounds shot down the tube . I shoot for fun and have a new factory take off barrel to replace it .
    Last edited by Reeseman; 10-05-2015 at 11:22 PM.

heard this issue before, here's my 2 "sense", with your bolt action rifle, you should be aiming for precision, unlike an AR platform which is designed for rapid suppression fire. Bulk M855 vs let's say Hornady will never compare in accuracy, so your options are shoot .223 match grade and be accurate or shoot bulk "surplus" ammo and risk damage to the rifling in your nice High Acuracy Bolt Action Rifle. Your twist rate is 1:9 for .223, 5.56 is better suited for the 1:12 twist , the higher pressure will eventually render your rifle inaccurate, in time.
    Anyway .223 is just as inexpensive, so WHY would you risk potential injury and inevitable damage?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    heard this issue before, here's my 2 "sense", with your bolt action rifle, you should be aiming for precision, unlike an AR platform which is designed for rapid suppression fire. Bulk M855 vs let's say Hornady will never compare in accuracy, so your options are shoot .223 match grade and be accurate or shoot bulk "surplus" ammo and risk damage to the rifling in your nice High Acuracy Bolt Action Rifle. Your twist rate is 1:9 for .223, 5.56 is better suited for the 1:12 twist , the higher pressure will eventually render your rifle inaccurate, in time.
    Anyway .223 is just as inexpensive, so WHY would you risk potential injury and inevitable damage?
    The only time you need to even think about whether firing 5.56 ammo in a .223-marked rifle may pose some problem is if the chamber is cut to the tightest .223 specs ("Match" chambers)-- which Axis chambers, and in fact at least 99% of all sporting and military rifles, are not. The Axis action is well able to handle any pressure found in any standard .223 or 5.56 load with zero ill effect. Rifling twist has to do with bullet weight. The slower twists are better for the lighter 45 and 55 gr. bullets (the originals, I believe, were 1 in 14), 1 in 9 is a good compromise twist that serves well for bullets up to 62-69 gr. or so, while 1 in 7 shines with the heavyweights (75, 77 gr.), be the rifle marked .223, 5.56, or .223/5.56.

In other words, it is virtually a complete non-issue which has been blown up in to a major thing by Internet "experts". If you get a good deal on 5.56 ammo, your Axis will eat 'em like I do peanuts at a baseball game --which is to say, rapidly and with complete contentment.

I have a .223 heavy barrel and I wondered the same thing. From info I have gathered you can but probably shouldn't. NATO 5.56 was designed for semi auto rifles, the shape of the brass is different. I have personally shot both many times out of an ar-15 and could not tell the difference at all. Since .223 is easy to get and inexpensive that's what I always use.

Quote Originally Posted by tweiss3 View Post
    223 Chamber Pressure 55,000 psi
    5.56 Chamber Pressure 62,000 psi

If you want to risk your well being on 7,000 psi, that's your think, but I wouldn't, unless its a 223 wylde which will hold the additional pressure.
    Aren't all rifles produced in the US made to withstand 3 times the pressure of the round?? I know if you call and ask savage they will tell you no because that is the safe easy answer

Thank you for the replies. I have decided to stick with .223, 55 to 62 gr hand loads. My hunting shots are mostly 25 to 200 yards in the swamp or along the river.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ77 View Post
    I have a .223 heavy barrel and I wondered the same thing. From info I have gathered you can but probably shouldn't. NATO 5.56 was designed for semi auto rifles, the shape of the brass is different.
    Better check that. The dimensional specs are identical.

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    i agree completely.

perhaps my thinking is a bit warped, but i shoot to hit the mark with every round.

so why fire off inferior ammo in a firearm meant for precision and not rapid rate of fire?

i just bought an axis hb in .223rem and will build the best match grade ammo i can.