Thread: 25 cal on yotes?

slaroy

25 cal on yotes?

Hi guys, I'm right in the middle of a 257 Bob build and was wondering if you guys have any experience loading 25 Cal for Yotes.

I was hoping I could load some 75 great vmax that will give me a one hole kill/ no pass through, that will stop em in their tracks. Trying to save some pelts but more interested in quick kills.

What is your experience? Any suggestions? I will try anything.

Just thought I would add that I am hunting eastern coyotes, shots ranging from 50 to 300 yards
    - scott

Re: 25 cal on yotes?

I have been loading for a couple of 25-06's for over a decade now. Although you are running a slower Roberts, Stay away from the 75gr. VMax if you want a pelt. The '06 is capable of *Almost* cutting them completely in half if hit high in the big middle. Try something in the 85-100 gr range. Although I'm not a fan of their product, Nosler's BT's are not nearly as explosive at the VMax/ TNT real of bullet.

Enjoy!!
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

75 grain Vmax's- Imagine and coyote swallowing a hand grenade.

The Vmax, 1 hole in, no exit only works consistantly with 55 and 60 gr. Vmax's in a 223.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Basic Member

Don't sweat the pelts ....... they are worthless!

Hammer'em!!

Three 44s

lostart

+1 Aint even worth the time it takes to skin em

slaroy

Thanks guys, I kinda figured thats where this was going. I have shot a few coyotes with a 223 and 50 gr vmaxes, but the they ,anaged to run more than I would have liked. This roberts will be my "walking rifle" so I wanted a to be sure I could "hammer em"

So here is a new question. What bullet do you guys prefer for coyotes out of a 25 cal? I need to worry about pass throughs/ ricochets (part of the reason for my original post). You guys helped e decide I am not gonna be skinning and saving pelts any longer. I will be loading 75 gr vmax, and was also looking at some 90gr sierra HP's. What do you think?

Thanks again for the input. Now if I could just get this done and do some huntin', I might be able to post a pic or two in the savage killed coyote thread!

borg

.25? Impossible. Anything over .243 will kill them too dead. They will turn zombie and start eating vegetables out of your garden.

Basic Member

If I were going to try and save pelts with a .25, I would pick a 100gr. TSX. If you stay back from the shoulder, you shouldn't get much expansion from that bullet.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

1happyshooter

I would stay away from the x bullets if I did not want a pass through. They will exit about 100% of the time.

I load Sierra Game Kings 100 grn bullets and don't look back. Hogs, deer, coyotes whatever have not lived long after hit with the Bob and the load. Great gun for any thing elk size and down.
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

If you don't want pass throughs, I'm not sure what to recommend. I've only shot a few 'yotes with a 257 Roberts, then a Roberts AI, (one of my deer rifles) and every one was a pass through. These were closer range hits, more targets of opportunity while I was out deer hunting. I was using 75 vmax's in both. A heavier bullet is only going to carry farther down range after it passes through the 'yote. I haven't worried about pelt damage for years, it's been over 10 years (closer to 15 now that I think about it) since I knew anyone that would even TAKE them, let alone pay anything for them. Not at all worth messing with.

If you're shooting in areas that you're worried about stray bullets, maybe something lighter would be better? Don't know your personal hunting situation, so this may be out of place. I use my Stevens 223 for 'yotes with 50 gr vmax's. I've had shots past 200 yds with no crawl offs. Anything 100 yds or close to that, or farther out, and I've not had to worry about bullets exiting. Most of the time they don't exit unless they're under 50 yards, and then they're pretty used up and don't have to worry about carrying any real distance. I think the Stevens 223 is about the perfect walk around 'yote buster.

Back to the Roberts, I think the 90 gr Sierra is going to virtually guarantee you bullet exits until the range gets out there a ways, like 200 yds or more. If the 75 vmax doesn't shoot for you, try the 75 Sierra varmint bullet. That one is fairly explosive also and would be a better choice than some heavier bullet I think.

For real long range 25 cal work, I have a couple of boxes of the Berger MEF (maximum expansion factor) 115 gr varmint bullets left. Sadly, they were discontinued by Berger some years ago. I've been tempted to load some of these up in my 257 wby mag and see how far away I can grease a dog!

I know you said eastern 'yotes, at what ranges are you finding your shots? Are you hunting in active pastures or farms? Are you worried about neighboring properties? How far away are they? That may make a difference in recommendations as well. It's hard to recommend equipment to folks hunting in an entirely different environment than you hunt in yourself.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

slaroy

Thanks again guys,

Borg- That&#39;s all I need is a bunch of zombie coyotes eatin in my garden along with the zombie woodchucks. Great. And I bet I will have to use a 375H&H or bigger to to knock their heads clean off to kill them too!

Slim- thanks for the insight. Here is a little more on my situation. I have been shooting coyotes with a 223 but it is a big heavy remmy 700 and I HATE carryin that thing around. Also, I am hunting mostly active pastures/ farmfields with shots up to 300 yards, and I am worried about neighbors and their animals. Some areas of the state that I hunt have some rolling hills and some distances that might get me shooting out past 300yrds.

The coyotes that I have shot with my 223 were big easterns, one about 50lbs at about 200yds, and another about 60lbs! at about 250 yards. Both of them were able to run/ crawl after being hit in the chest with a 50 gr vmax. They didn&#39;t go far but I almost lost the big 60 pounder in a field edge, had to get my dog to find him.

So I thought that if I was going to build a Bob for a deer rifle I might as well put together a load that would stop a coyote right in his tracks. I will be picking my shots of course... but wait, the barrel nut itch is taking over... why not get a 22-250 tube to throw on one of my actions? This website has got me into more trouble (and more fun) than I thought was possible.

I am still having a heck of a time trying to find some 75gr vmax&#39;s anyway. I will be loading up some 75gr sierra HP&#39;s to test in the rifle. I will keep you posted. Expecting my shipment form midway any day now.

Thanks -Scott

lostart

why not get a swift instead ???

Basic Member

I would bust them in half with that 75 gr. V-max ...... safer around livestock than the tougher bullets.

If we get back to where the pelts are worth talking about ........ switch to a .22-250 and run a V max or Balistic Tip flat out. When my Rem was still cooking, I ran the 55 gr. Ballistic Tip to right around 3650 fps with Varget.

I shot many a "dog" with that combo and I&#39;d call a local trapper and he&#39;d pick up my deads for his fur collection. He marveled at the lack of damage on the far side .... some passed through but many did not. I am told a V max would have been even better.

Today, I shoot a CZ 527 in .223 rem and I really miss that &#39;ole .22-250.

Since joining this web site, I have bought two long actions ....... and many barrels ...... with some of the more notable varmint choices like a sporter .22-250, a varmint wt. .22-250, a 25-06 and several heavier calibers.

But sweating fur damage right now is like trying to sort fly poop out of black pepper.

Just have fun!!

Three 44s