Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XLR Chassis redo...

Basic Member

XLR Chassis redo...

I had sold my other Element, and after trying out a few others, I am now back in an XLR Element!!

DK

[B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    I've been contemplating a chassis for awhile now, but I can't seem to get it together. I know better than to shoot something as nice as yours, as then I would NEED a chassis! Looks good.

Basic Member
    Honestly, the Element isn't that expensive, considering you won't have to worry about adding a specific bottom metal and all the associated problems. The Element is actually affordable, and there isn't the 21 week lead time that I was quoted for my new Manners MCS-T with Mini-Chassis. Even with the 2015 discount, the Element was cheaper than going the Manners/CDI route. Super adjustable, really comfortable, and incredibly accurate!! Definitely worth the funds!!

DK

Basic Member
    I feel like you're trying to convince me to go to the dark side... (It wouldn't take much! Lol) Really though, I like the looks, the functionality, but as I said before, I've never been behind one.

Basic Member
    I own 2 chassis. Hard to go back to standard stock. The adjustability is what makes the difference to me.

Great looking rig! Details on the tripod and mount, please...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Great looking rig! Details on the tripod and mount, please...
    If your interested in (GOOD) tripod for long range shooting, check out the Lone Star from Texas, or the Ultimate Tripod from Blairsville Pa.

Basic Member
    Here is the information on the tripod... you are gonna love it!!

Heavy duty Nikon camera tripod... $5.00 from the thrift store.

Rubberized V style yolk... $3.00 from eBay.

No, it doesn't have the Hog Saddle that I would like, but I don't have hundreds of dollars invested in it either. It does everything that I need it to do, so I am good with it.

DK

Hahahaha, that's amazing. Sooo, do you have the gun propped up on the tripod adjustment handle?

Basic Member
    Yes, the magazine rides on the handle until it is time to get things done. I have also got the specific spot marked in the camo paint, where the rifle balances really well. I just prefer to rest the rifle on the handle. Like I said before, it just works, and I don't have hundreds of dollars invested in it. Also, the tripod sits well on the Wolverine 4Wheeler that I was riding, moving from spot to spot and shooting. Just a lot of fun, all the way around!!

DK

Basic Member
    Here are a few other pics, just to get the full effect...

DK

Very nice

Basic Member
    Thanks man!!

DK

BarrelNuts
    ...Next build is going to be an XLR chassis in "I don't know what" caliber... bought a 110 and the seller included a mag. bolt face so anything goes kinda. My only concern is that I'll like the chassis so much I'll end up never shooting the .260 I just finished in a B&C stock

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarrelNuts View Post
    ...Next build is going to be an XLR chassis in "I don't know what" caliber... bought a 110 and the seller included a mag. bolt face so anything goes kinda. My only concern is that I'll like the chassis so much I'll end up never shooting the .260 I just finished in a B&C stock
    Once I started shooting a Chassis, I started wondering why I was doing it any other way. Love my Element Chassis. I don't believe they do the Element for a Savage LA though.

LongRange
    question for you guys running running the elements...is there a reason you guys went with the Tac lite butt stocks over the standard butt stocks? im looking at the standard butt stock as it looks like it has more adjust ability but also wondering if its ridged or is there some flex in it?

Basic Member
    No flex anywhere. If I bought it over again I'd get the tactical over the tact light. If I only shot probe matches I'd get the standard tube style.

I added the vertical adjustment plate from that tactical to my tact light stock. Needed the extra LOP and the adjustability. Believe the tactical would ride a bag better though than the tact light

LongRange
    thanks LW thats what i wanted to hear...im going to go with the standard because i shoot prone and just stick with my savage PTA for now as i doubt i shoot well enough to even notice a difference from the PTA or a shilen or a surgon ect but i am going to try a bartlein or krieger barrel...any thoughts on the two?

Basic Member
    Haven't tried either. Obviously they shoot, but so do so many others ...

Basic Member
    My 1st Element had the Tac-Lite. I now have the Tactical stock, and I like it MUCH better than the Tac-Lite. I honestly think most people go the Lite route, due to cost. I know it is only $25.00 more, but it still makes a difference. I based mine on cost, but I now know better. It is well worth the extra funds to get the Tactical!!

DK

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    My 1st Element had the Tac-Lite. I now have the Tactical stock, and I like it MUCH better than the Tac-Lite. I honestly think most people go the Lite route, due to cost. I know it is only $25.00 more, but it still makes a difference. I based mine on cost, but I now know better. It is well worth the extra funds to get the Tactical!!

DK
    Sorry for the high jack RM....i just ordered an XLR....i called and spoke with Nick (super nice guy and very helpful)....well it turns out they dont make the element for the PTA action so i had to step up to the evelution...then he said they dont make the standard butt stock anymore as there was not a lot of interest in it....everyone goes with the tac lite...after talking a little more i went with the tactical butt stock as i want the adjustability...also since they wont have to inlet for a mag and minus the parts he knocked $25 bucks off so it ended up $785 shipped...only bad part....they are about 5 weeks out but that will give me a little extra time to get my barrel and have it chambered threaded and crowned.

Basic Member
    How is the yolk fixed to the tripod? Do they make them with tripod attachment piece that goes on a camera or spotting scope? Sweet sweet gun by the way.

BarrelNuts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Once I started shooting a Chassis, I started wondering why I was doing it any other way. Love my Element Chassis. I don't believe they do the Element for a Savage LA though.
    Yeah, haven't been to their website in a while so maybe but don't remember them having the element in the LA but they do have the evolution in LA... aside from the obvious preference in solid vs. bolt-on fore-end and shielded/unshielded barrel is there a reason one would choose the element over the evolution?

Basic Member
    Price and weight for me.

My rig with a 27" barrel plus a brake weighs in around 12-13lbs. Most setups in a traditional are 15-17lbs
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-11-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Sorry for the high jack RM....i just ordered an XLR....i called and spoke with Nick (super nice guy and very helpful)....well it turns out they dont make the element for the PTA action so i had to step up to the evelution...then he said they dont make the standard butt stock anymore as there was not a lot of interest in it....everyone goes with the tac lite...after talking a little more i went with the tactical butt stock as i want the adjustability...also since they wont have to inlet for a mag and minus the parts he knocked $25 bucks off so it ended up $785 shipped...only bad part....they are about 5 weeks out but that will give me a little extra time to get my barrel and have it chambered threaded and crowned.
    No apologies necessary. XLR is just a great company to deal with. And trust me, the 5 week wait is a BUNCH better than 21-23 week lead time. That 5 weeks will go by fast, as long as you keep working on other aspects of the rifle. Getting the gunsmithing done during that time is a huge benefit!! Best of luck to you on your build. Get us some pics... or it never happened!! LOL

DK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast