Thread: Model 25 22 K hornet

Model 25 22 K hornet

Hi,

I have a Model 25 WV that I've had chambered to 22 K Hornet and now the magazine will only hold two rounds. I believe they just aren't stacking properly. I'm thinking that I can use the 17 Hornet magazine, due to the 17 being based on the 17 Ackley Hornet which is based on the 22 K Hornet. I'm currently loading at 1.750" col, which is maximum for my magazine. has anyone here attempted this? If not, would someone with a 17 Hornet magazine measure the length of the inside of the magazine for me, please?

Thank you for the help.

Johnhenry
    My 17 hornet mag opening measures 1.755. What it measures further down the well is probably somewhat less. Maybe you will have to shrink your over all case length a slight bit more?

Thank you Johnhenry. I appreciate your help. I'm thinking that the magazine body between the two is the same, but they have different followers and possibly floor plates. I had no problem with a COL of 1.750" with the standard Hornet, but maybe the long shoulder allowed them to stack at an angle making the longer COL fit. Savage didn't even want to talk to me after telling them I had done the conversion, not really surprised. I think I'll just have to order one up and see if it works.

The Savage 17 Hornet magazine showed up and it won't work either, but I was able to use the 17's follower in the 22's body and it works fine. At first I figured I would have two three round magazines, but the rifle wouldn't feed from the 17 magazine.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see that the round is sitting higher in the 22 magazine on the left.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here you can see that the feed lips contact the body of the round slightly further back, I believe this is what allows the round to sit higher in the magazine.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the followers, 17 on the left. The 17 will fit in the 22 magazine, but not the other way around. I trimmed the legs on the 22 follower and it still would not work properly. I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference and will work on the 17 magazine some more at a later date to see if I can make it feed properly, I think trimming the feed lips back will do the trick. So, for anybody wanting to do this conversion, a 17 follower in a 22 magazine will fit four rounds and feed properly.

Basic Member
    Kinda off subject but does anyone chamber a K Hornet or are they all special reamings after the fact??

No factory K chambers that I'm aware of.

Out of $
    Knightkrawler00,
    I know this is off topic from your thread. I am looking to have my model 25 in .22 hornet rechambered to .22 K hornet. Where did you have it done? Could share details on the conversion?
    Thanks
    Tom

Hi Tom,

I had my coversion done by Greg Tannel in Colorado. http://www.gretanrifles.com/main.jsf

As far as I know, it's as simple as running a reamer into the chamber. It sounds like he went as far as removing the barrel, but I also had him thread it for a suppressor. I highly recommend his work. The wait to send the rifle was months, but turn around once I sent it in was under three weeks and the price was fair. The work was flawless and I won't hesitate to send more rifles his way.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Five shots at 100 yards.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Out of $
    Knightkrawler00,
    Thanks for the information, I will give him a call.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Knightkrawler00 View Post
    The Savage 17 Hornet magazine showed up and it won't work either, but I was able to use the 17's follower in the 22's body and it works fine. At first I figured I would have two three round magazines, but the rifle wouldn't feed from the 17 magazine.

[IMG][/IMG]

You can see that the round is sitting higher in the 22 magazine on the left.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here you can see that the feed lips contact the body of the round slightly further back, I believe this is what allows the round to sit higher in the magazine.

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are the followers, 17 on the left. The 17 will fit in the 22 magazine, but not the other way around. I trimmed the legs on the 22 follower and it still would not work properly. I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference and will work on the 17 magazine some more at a later date to see if I can make it feed properly, I think trimming the feed lips back will do the trick. So, for anybody wanting to do this conversion, a 17 follower in a 22 magazine will fit four rounds and feed properly.
    Good info as I'm considering buying a Savage M-25 in Hornet and having the chamber redone to K-Hornet.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67