Thread: Using multiple loads in gun according to conditions?

lrshooting

Using multiple loads in gun according to conditions?

Im so new to this precision thing that I still cant get my head wrapped around the stuff I can do compared to the classic deer rifle with a scope you set for 100 yards and never touch it again unless you change ammo.

I mean my Viper PST FFP is simply amazing...I shot once, used the reticle to measure how many mils I was off from where I should have been, adjusted accordingly and next shot was dead on. I 'bout had to yell I was so excited. Now, I was watching a show the other day (I think sniper: in the cross hairs or something like that) and they were using multiple rounds in the same gun according to the conditions and purpose. Things like incendiary, match, penetrator etc.

I was wondering if you could do a similar thing with things like lightweight rounds for quick shots at closer ranges (as in for hunting, I used heavies last year and it seemed like I had to lead a mile when shooting a running deer during drives, but the light bullets flew fast enough to help alleviate that effect) and the heavies for long. Maybe a mid range size like 168 amax for deer. Of course you would have to keep good track of data and what the turret settings are for zero, but if you scope and gun is built good, what reason could there be that it wouldn't work? So far my PST seems to track good and not have any problems going back to zero if I adjust.

Twinsen
    You can do it, but according to my experience, it's going to make shooting harder, not easier. Coming up with one load and using it for everything is wonderful.

mespalin
    When I am testing different bullets and charges, I will select a recipe that has a POI similar to my favorite load, before I would choose one that has a POI shift from my standard loads. Under pressure, even with the ability to make adjustments with your scope, the last thing I want to be doing is trying to recall which ammo I have and where I should be aiming.