Thread: Opening up a SA to a LA

Basic Member

Opening up a SA to a LA

Okay as a point of interest. I get cant make a stock that is already a LA into one for a short action. However has anyone ever heard of, made, modified a SA stock to accept a LA? Basics as i thought about it would be opening up the stock farther forward for the recoil lug. As all as magazine well opening up and drilling a new forward bolt hole. Any other thoughts?

Don't try it unless you have better than average woodworking skills

Basic Member
    Well should have added it is going to be on a Stockade Elk hunter stock. And had planned to bed it with epoxy when all done. I was using this stock with a SA 4.4" spacing accutrigger action. But that action is being put in another stock. so since my LA needs a stock and the ES needs a new action...was contemplating giving it a go?

Basic Member
    I don't think it is even possible.

I have converted Stagger feed short actions to center feed, but in that case you are only moving the front pillar a fraction of an inch.

Basic Member
    You have value in the Elk Hunter stock. Just sell it then purchase you a LA stock.

You will destroy the stock if you proceed.

Stockade stocks have an aluminum block that you'll be contending with. In order to install the LA into a SA stock you'll be cutting out a significant amount of that block. I think it'd be a bad idea personally.
    INFERNO

lrshooting
    How bad you want it? I am not by any means a good "woodworker," but I carved out a fiberglass McM A5 and did so with a wood router and hand tools. Gun shoots under .5" at 1000 without any trouble and I haven't even worked up a good load for it. Its going to be way more accurate then I am though.

I didn't see whether it is wood or synthetic. If its wood, forget it unless your going to paint it. The hole spacing difference is going to cause problems with finish unless you can mill it out and place an insert to make it look like it was "suppose to be" that way. Other than that, I dont see why not. Just make sure you use good materials. Dont use JB weld if your trying to fill gaps. It relatively soft compared to Devcon. Devcon is by far the best thing I can think of if you want to fill up the old recoil lug area and action screw holes.

Basic Member
    "Gun shoots under .5" at 1000 without any trouble and I haven't even worked up a good load for it. Its going to be way more accurate then I am though."

Are you sure this isn't .5 MOA?
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    LR, are you saying you adapted a short action stock with aluminum bedding to fit a long action? If so, I would be real interested in seeing how that was done and hearing how it worked out. I just don't "see it".

Basic Member
    Bad idea. I know what's inside, and the layout of things would make you cuss like a sailor if you tried milling through them. Besides that, it would compromise the integrity of the whole stock. Doing so would render this stock scrap.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I appreciate all the input. I will simply put the stock to the side and look for a suitable stock for my 110 already inletted.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by clintsrv View Post
    "Gun shoots under .5" at 1000 without any trouble and I haven't even worked up a good load for it. Its going to be way more accurate then I am though."

Are you sure this isn't .5 MOA?
    Oh my. Yea definitely moa. Id be a record setter!!

lrshooting
    No. Mine is fiberglass. Is that what his is?

13. 09-30-2015, 11:23 PM
    Reason
    General forum rules #6 violation - WTB outside of the classifieds

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Being a self professed Savage Addict...I am going to hold onto it. Never know when another SA may fall into my lap and need a new stick :) I appreciate the offer however.

Yes, it can be done. In my opinion, it's probably not worth the effort except for a handful of situations. I took it one step further and used a Remington SA stock. This summer I was trying to come up with a lightweight option for a DIY Elk hunt in CO. My goal was a really lightweight rifle with some range. The only option for ultra light stocks for a 110 from anyone like Stockade, Manners or McMillan would have been a longer lead time than I had time for. I picked up a really lightweight (well under 2 lbs) fiberglass stock off eBay, made for a Remington 700 SA footprint (same action diameter). Using my drill press, I used a 1/4" fluted router bit to remove any fiberglass that needed to go, and a mill bit to relieve any areas of the aluminum bedding block. I then used Devcon, aluminum pillars, and stainless steel cross bolts (like on safari magnum rifles) to reinforce and bed the action area for the Savage. The end result was a 6.5lb bare rifle, 7.5lb scoped with talleys and VX3 4.5-14. As to the question of recoil, it has held up for around 60 rounds so far. .300 RUM, shooting 215gr Bergers at 3130fps. The last shot was a 581yd one shot kill on an Elk :)

Hey what ever works! You've got one heck of a shooter there!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67