Thread: New (to me) Model 11 V/T .223

Basic Member

New (to me) Model 11 V/T .223

Hello, I just purchase a mode 11 V/T in .223 cal from Gunbroker...I guess it was a line Savage built for Dick's Sporting Goods....Doing some research, I found an accustock w/ the aluminum bed block in which everything lined up except my gunsmith had to mill out a little aluminum for the recoil lug to fit. Then I bedded the lug to insure it is set. I can't wait to work up a load for it... Is there anyone that has a rifle like this, how do you like/ dislike it???? Anything to look out for? What bullet are you having good luck with?? Any information would be appreciated...thanks!

There are a literal shyte-ton of bullets for the 223, all with somewhat different purposes. Since you didn't say your purpose, choose one between 35-77gr.

No one except you, can say what your rifle will prefer.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=darkker;334780]There are a literal shyte-ton of bullets for the 223, all with
    somewhat different purposes. Since you didn't say your purpose, choose one between 35-77gr.

A bullet to to double as a coyote neutralizer and for target work. Did some testing with CFE 223 / Varget and Hornady 60gr spt bullets today. I got sub .5 moa groups, especially with Varget.... Got some Dogtown 55gr HP to try next. I would like to try 68-69gr just to see... Anybody have any good recipes??? Thanks...

Basic Member
    I get good results with CFE223 and 69 gr SMK, TMK, and Nosler CC. Haven't shot the Hornaday 68's.

I just finished working up a load for Hornaday Match 75 gr, BTHP pushed by IMR 4320. Crazy accurate, but dependent upon CCI400 primer. Same load with Win small rifle primer shot like doo-doo.

Like they say, "change one thing, change everything".

I have a 12flv, loves those cheap 55gr hornady soft points over H4895... 3/8-1/2" if I do my part