Thread: Amax kills

Luke45

Amax kills

Had a few antelope kills the last few weeks with a140 amax out of my 6.5 swede. Wow that bullet is just a hammer on medium game.

Not trying to start a war, but a heavy for caliber amax is a hunting bullet. The only folks I've ever met that disagree hsve never tried them

Yes they do. I shot a doe with my target model 12 in 6.5 Creedmoore with 120 Amax, she dropped where I shot her. Ranged off at 145 yrs.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Basic Member
    Is that a spine shot we see ?

Luke45
    One of my friends shot a
    Goat with a 75amax last week out of his 22-250, another with a 105 amax out of a 6-06, another shot a 250 lb mulie with a 208 out of his 300, and I just got 2 goats with the 140s. All DRT ranges from 75-500 yards. Most devastating bullets I've seen, even more so than berger vld.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    Had a few antelope kills the last few weeks with a140 amax out of my 6.5 swede. Wow that bullet is just a hammer on medium game.

Not trying to start a war, but a heavy for caliber amax is a hunting bullet. The only folks I've ever met that disagree hsve never tried them
    Prior to the Amax, the only 7mm bullet they made was the standard bthp match. The 162s were the most popular among l/r hunters at that time.
    Prior to his death in a small plane crash in the 70s, Joyce Hornady was questioned about those bullets being used by hunters.
    His answer was that (all) his bullets could be used for hunting. I still have and use the old 162 bthp match bullets in my 7mms.
    The first version amax had a silver tip made from some type of metal. They are highly saught after by some of the older 7mm hunters.

They also work very well at long range. This is my buddies wife with a Coues Deer she shot at 680 yards a couple years ago with a 120 Amax out of her .260 Rem. I was fortunate to watch this kill happen through 20 power Steiners and the shock waves that went through the deer was incredible. It was like throwing a rock in a pond. The deer dropped right where he stood. It was awesome, The Amax and the 6.5 are definitely hard on animals.

FE Conch
    Yes it was spine and the tail end of the front shoulder. If you would like to see the wound channel I can post it if it is appropriate.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Took 3 Axis deer this past March with .308 and 168 AMAXs and I have to agree,they did more damage than the Bergers out of my 300win mag. Ranges were from 90 to 253yrds. Absolutely destroyed the internals on all of them, one shot was thru the onside shoulder and still performed well.

Luke45
    Buleseyed a big mulies front shoulder this morning at 250 with the 140 amax, lodged on opposite should weighing 54 gr . Mulie dropped like a rock DRT

jammer300
    I haven't had a chance to take any game with the AMAX yet but I will be setting out October 10th for the opener of the general rifle deer season here in Idaho and I will be shooting the 208gr AMAX out of my 300 win mag.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post

Not trying to suck the sugar from your Kool Aid, but I'll never use them on deer again. If you ever shoot a 120 lb doe on the edge of a Southwest Mississippi cutover and that doe adrenaline surges into that cutover 50-60 yds with no exit wound and absolutely no blood trail you might change your mind. Those Mississippi brambles are tuuuuff! Oh, the little deer was shot "in the crease" at bow range with a .308 155 gr AMAX. Is it a killer? Obviously. I guess I just like an exit hole, thus the Sierra 165 gr Gameking I hunt with. However, that AMax it is my go-to load for paper out to 500 yds. Stellar accuracy, no doubt.
    Last edited by Old Medic; 11-05-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Josh
    Well mine isn't the Amax or a Savage, but I did just get back from a hunting trip to Colorado where I shot a huge mule deer. He had to be over 225 lb on the hoof, from 100 yds I placed a 175 gr Sierra TMK moving at 2525 FPS in his neck. Exit wound was quarter size and he dropped in his tracks. I am a firm believer in bot the AMAX and TMK for hunting animals.

Did ya shot that with iron sights outta straight pull? you badass gangsta ;-)
    nice mulie, good to see lotsa green stuff around.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    Did ya shot that with iron sights outta straight pull? you badass gangsta ;-)
    nice mulie, good to see lotsa green stuff around.
    That has to be one of my favorite rifles, I have always enjoyed milsurps, it was just a shame I didn't have time to get a load for my K98k up and running.

Basic Member
    I took a 450lb hog this spring with a .308 178gn A-max. Of course it was a head shot at 75 yards :P

I've shot a lot of deer out to 500 yards with the 178 AMAX out of my .308. and never had one take a step. In my .308 the most accurate bullet is the Hornady 168 BTHP. I use the 168 HPBT during regular rifle season but I modify the tip of the bullet by chamfering the tiny hole at the tip with a Camo screw. This makes sure the bullet will open upon impact and this method has worked very good for me.

I use the 178 amax during deer damage time with the Shilen Bull barrel as I can get some long shot's in the field's. I use the ER Shaw varmint weight barrel with the 168"s for regular hunting as it is lighter and shoots them in the same hole at 100 yard's.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    I was wondering how those would be. I like how they shoot. Still have plenty of sst's for the 308's but the bthp looks up to the task.

Basic Member
    Dan, if you don't mind, what is a Camo screw ?

Thanks...Jim :-)

Here is I Coyote I got over the weekend with my new to me Remington Model Seven in .260 Remington. The 123gr Amax sure did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Dan, if you don't mind, what is a Camo screw ?

Thanks...Jim :-)
    i'll post up a pic. later today Jim.

This is the bullet in it's natural form.

Here is the chamfered tip.

Camo screw.

Here's what I got with my custom tailored Hornady 168HPBT.

I hit him at 75 yards off hand,, the first lung had a .308 hole and the other side of the same lung was ripped open to about 2 1/2 inches. DRT.

Basic Member
    Thanks Dan. I got it now. Your system works very well ! :-) Jim