Thread: Model 11 FCNS Questions

Doc7

Model 11 FCNS Questions

Hello all, hoping to get some answers here. I am going to try to be less verbose than usual!

1 - Is there any benefit to bedding a Gen 2 (no wedge screw) Accustock? I find a wear pattern on my recoil lug which indicates uneven contact. How would one bed this lug, given the stock is intended to "flex" during installation of action?

2 - Used rifle, accuracy not awesome with factory ammo and various torque settings. (2" groups average with 4 different factory loads at 139 and 150 gr bullets). Expect most accuracy improvement from which of the following (budget reasons dictate can do all of these eventually but not at same time) : New (Shilen or Pac-Nor) prefit barrel, Handloading, or new (McMillan) stock glass bedded?

3 - If I bedded my current or future stock, and replace the barrel, does the bed job need to be re-done? I assume it's a definite yes if the recoil lug is replaced during the barrel replacement, but what if it isn't?

Doc7
    I just realized my recoil lug is bottoming out in the bedding block when the action screws are not installed (I can tilt the barreled action back and forth around this point)

Is this right???

Basic Member
    sure don't sound right!

Doc7
    I filled out the form on Savage's website about it. Any word on the quality of their responses; can I trust it to be accurate?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    sure don't sound right!
    I would double-check that theory by putting putty in the lug recess, re-mount and tighten the screws down. Remove the stock again and inspect the putty. My guess is there's still some room under the lug. If not, then I would send Savage a pic of the "squished-away" putty and see what they say.

Doc7
    What type of putty should I use for this? Thank you

Basic Member
    "Play Doh" or modeling clay works.

Basic Member
    Chewing gum. (ABC gum)

Doc7
    I put play doh in and believe this shows I have clearance (the holes I poked too see how thin it was - but I think we are looking for doh vs no-doh, right?)

Wear On front of lug?

Rear of lug

Here are some photos of my crown / bore - how does the crown look? How concerning is that rust in the bore? It is not copper as I cleaned copper out zealously when I first bought the rifle (100 rounds ago) and that was still there

Thinking about getting 2" chopped off and re crowned ... Any suggestions on this rifle based on any of above photos?

Rifle was bought with unknown round count.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Lug and recess look good to me. yes, there is some rubbing that would not be there if it were a perfectly bedded rifle with a trued lug, but not worth replacing. What you have there is good enough.

THe bore looks bad to me. Actually pitted. Pitting isn't necessarily a bad thing. A barrel can still shoot good with pitting (it can have a shift in point of impact but still be considered a consistent, accurate shooter). I am not saying they all will shoot well even with pitting, I am saying they CAN shoot well with pitting. If yours is not shooting well, it could very well be b/c of the bore. I would consider cutting and crowning as you said, or replace it. If it's a .308, I'd cut and crown it. (Doesn't matter how short it is). If it's a 30-06( or 25-06) you want to shoot 500 yards, I'd replace it

Basic Member
    BTW, to answer your first question: No, there is no point in bedding an Accustock. It might not be a perfect alternative to bedding, but it is good enough to pass. I have never heard of anyone getting any improvement out of bedding an Accustock or any aluminum bedded stock.

Doc7
    Thanks! It is a 7mm-08. I will scope the barrel prior to a replacement vs crown.