Thread: Newbie Questions on Model 10FLCP

jamo

Newbie Questions on Model 10FLCP

Hello all,
    As mentioned in the title, I'm somewhat of a newbie to the precision shooting and building side of things so i thought i'd ask a few questions.
    I'm looking for a .300wsm left handed model to start shooting some longer ranges(600-1000yds). I'm not really looking to step into the 110BA model at this point as I'd like to be able to possibly carry this gun hunting as well. Then there's the Model 11 which does not have the Accustock or a threaded barrel for a muzzlebreak(not a deal breaker as they are fairly cheap to have done). Do I need an accustock? Or would i just order an after market stock? The other left handed model i see that really peaked my interest was the Model 10FLCP-SR as it has all the attribute i was looking for. Unfortunately, it is chambered in the .308 and I would like to be able to have the option of some longer range elk hunting. Another reason i would like the .300wsm is the fact that i have 2 of them already(Browning a-bolt and Tikka T3) and the reloading supplies for them.

To make a long story short my question is this: What would have to be done to change the .308 to .300WSM and is it possible or worth it? I've read that it would require a new barrel and some bolt work but could be done. However, I thought I'd ask for some expert advice before diving into a project like this.

Thanks in advance guys

Basic Member
    You just need the barrel, wsm bolt head, headspace gauges, barrel wrench, action wrench, and a few basic hand tools. Your caliber options are almost limitless. I don't own a 300wsm but I've heard good things about it.

jamo
    Thanks for the info pepper! After thinking about it some more, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a good shop that could possibly re-chamber the existing barrel? Or would I be better off going with a new barrel? Just weighing some options here.
    Thanks again

Basic Member
    Contact Jim (Apache Gun Works), he's a vendor on the main page of the forum. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'll help you out with some options. I'll go to him for the rest of my projects.

Jim at Northland Shooting Supply is also a stand-up guy if you want to go with a Shilen or Criterion prefit barrel.

jamo
    Thanks again for the info. It's much appreciated!