Thread: Hawke, Nikko, Vortex, Millet, Mueller, Centerpoint, Swift for MK2 LR toy

shaman

Hawke, Nikko, Vortex, Millet, Mueller, Centerpoint, Swift for MK2 LR toy

I just got a Mk2, but it has a BSA scope on it, and I don't want to mess with that. I have a Mueller Eradicator in 8.5-25, but I was looking at something else. I notice that there is a 6-24 Crossfire for $99, and was looking at something in the 6-24 range with mildots. I want to practice out to 200, just to get better at reading wind etc. What suggestions would everyone make for a 200 yard 22LR? A RT base or Zee rings, whichever is cheaper, will be used.

pa hog

Re: Hawke, Nikko, Vortex, Millet, Mueller, Centerpoint, Swift for MK2 LR toy

The $99.00 Crossfire is a great scope for the money, Perfect for a rimfire!
    Look to EGW for a scope base and Burris for rings.

+1 on the Crossfire.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member

+ 2 on the Vortex. I can't believe how good this scope is for $99.00. It would be very hard to beat for the price.
    Stu

BackwoodsBum

Chalk up another vote for the Vortex. I put a Crossfire on my Ruger 10-22 and was so happy with it that I bought a Viper for my Savage 111. After about 300 rounds of 338-06 (many of which are fairly hot) the zero hasn't wandered at all and the optics on both scopes are easily equal to most of my other scopes many of which cost 2-3 times what the Vortex scopes cost.

shaman

Been reading that the contrast really sucks, and you can see much pas 16x or so. What say you all?

Basic Member

I vote for the Swift. Been really impressed with the ones I have.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman
    Been reading that the contrast really sucks, and you can see much pas 16x or so. What say you all?
    If you are referring to the Vortex Crossfires, I have two of them and love them. Both are 6X24x50 and they are clear as a bell at any magnification. I put my first one on a 7 MM STW and shook the guts loose and Vortex sent me another with no questions asked. Mounted it on my 30-06 and have not looked back. Will be putting a viper or a PST on the STW as soon as funds are available. Will likely have all Vortex on my guns as new guns are built or acquired.
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

shaman

HR, my comment was based off of comments in this thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=1860752

I see, after reading thread I think he was fairly satisfied. I think he would find taht Vortex would make it right with him if he contacted them about his problems? I think the very first run had a few issues as I did but they sent me a scope and shipping label to send back my original purchase and I did not miss a single session at the range due to scope issues or delays.

Crossfires are the entry level scopes, so they will/do have their problems, but for the money I think you get more from them than many other brands, for what its worth.
    Founding member of the 7MM STW Club, Member Cull Hunting Association, Best times that I had, were/are, fishing with my wife and daughter.

shaman

oldguy

One of the best 22 scopes I've used is the Mueller 8-32x44 target dot or the Mueller 4-14apv which is more clear then my Nikon Monarch.

Basic Member

I would say stay away from that Tasco you have linked from Midway. I used to have one and it was not very impressive. Surprisingly the adjustments seemed very crisp and positive but the AO was stiff at one end and very loose at the other and did not focus very well.

Team Savage

crossfire!

DGD6MM

I shot a .22 tactical yesterday that a friend had a new crossfire that was used twice and the magnifacation adjustment ring broke on 8 power. The scope is nice and I believe that I am going to buy one for my other .22 in 8-32 and if I have a problem I'll deal with it. I had 2 Tasco 6-24 Varmits and they where okay, but shooting a prohunter 6-24 mildot on my 10/22 that I like better. I have not owned a Vortex yet. I'm going to sell a N.F. Benchrest and replace it with a PST on my 6CM Tactical.

shaman

DGD6MM

Vortex still sounds good to me.

shaman

anyone have thoughts on a 25MOA base, or Burris Signature Zee rings for getting some extra MOA

McKinneyMike

Quote Originally Posted by shaman
    One scope had a blob and you want to make it out to be a widespread issue? A little bit paranoid are you there chief. I have see a great many Vortex scopes and this was the first instance of a "blob" that I have ever read about.

The Crossfires have had some issues with rotating reticles, but this has hopefully been corrected. Other than that I think that their scopes have been stellar and that is the reason that their products are taken so seriously by so many now. We don't need people yelling fire in a crowded theater nor is it fair to any company that has shown that they are extremely customer oriented. I think it is time to stop the BS and allow the new PST's issues (turrets being a little too easy to turn is the only issue that I am aware of from all the reports on the internet). Other than that it looks to be a killer series of scopes for the prices.

Rant off.

Basic Member

i have read about the guts coming lose on higher recoil guns and that the outside edges get cloudy on high magnification but the 8x32x50 AO crossfire i have on my model 12lrvp in 223 has yet to move cloud up fuzz up or what ever you want to call it. i pretty much keep it set on 32 power and i really believe it is better than the bushnell 4200 i have on my 308 i was gonna get one for my 308 but i'm gonna wait and see how the funds grow and hold out for a pst

McKinneyMike

Indeed the issues with the rotating reticles have been when mounted on larger caliber rifles. I think that Vortex, if they continue to offer and listen to their customers, can really grow and prosper. They are off to a great start and building momentum.

The issues with the PST's was unfortunate, but they have done the right thing and decided to check all the manufacturing and are addressing the turret issue immediately, rather than letting the scopes sell light hot cakes and addressing the issue after the fact.

Frustrating for those that have been waiting a good while now, but commendable on Vortex's part to do what was right. Not many companies would have done it this way. I am a big fan of Vortex and think that they are doing it right and have proven that they care and will do what ever it takes to make people lifetime customers. Their scopes are gaining recognition based upon performance and not marketing hype. Refreshing concept!

shaman

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyMike

One scope had a blob and you want to make it out to be a widespread issue? A little bit paranoid are you there chief.
    There was nothing metioned about widespread issues. I simply posted a link to a thread. But since you want to mention it, how many scopes have they sent to the plublic so far? Considering the number of people still on waiting list, 50, 100, 200? If you were on a waiting list fo 6 months, and one of only 50, 100, or 200 $800 scopes had a nice blob in it, how would you feel? How does a .5%-2% failure rate sound to you?

McKinneyMike

And i ask you how much experience do you have with Vortex products? This company has proven to be customer oriented par excellence vs any other optics company that I have ever heard of dealt with in my lifetime.

They pulled the line off the market due to the turret and QC issues that "they" were concerned with, not a single blob issue. I am just saying that they have hurt themselves with many that are anxiously awaiting the release of the PST (me included), but they decided that the better answer was to regroup, address the issues that they saw and reintroduce the line once they have found the answers to the problems.

Not many companies would allow that to happen, as not selling products is always a issue. I commend Vortex and I too now have to wait a little longer, but like the other Vortex products that I now own, I feel that my patience will be well rewarded. I apologize for my flippant reply to your post to you also. I have just seen too many comments that seem to look at this issue as Vortex not being a very good product and that is simply not the case. They would not have been in a situation where so many are so anxious for the release of product if they were producing crappy products.

shaman

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyMike
    And i ask you how much experience do you have with Vortex products? This company has proven to be customer oriented par excellence vs any other optics company that I have ever heard of dealt with in my lifetime.

They pulled the line off the market due to the turret and QC issues that "they" were concerned with, not a single blob issue. I am just saying that they have hurt themselves with many that are anxiously awaiting the release of the PST (me included), but they decided that the better answer was to regroup, address the issues that they saw and reintroduce the line once they have found the answers to the problems.

Not many companies would allow that to happen, as not selling products is always a issue. I commend Vortex and I too now have to wait a little longer, but like the other Vortex products that I now own, I feel that my patience will be well rewarded. I apologize for my flippant reply to your post to you also. I have just seen too many comments that seem to look at this issue as Vortex not being a very good product and that is simply not the case. They would not have been in a situation where so many are so anxious for the release of product if they were producing crappy products.
    I'm not gonna question customer service. I have read all about it. I will have 1-2 crossfires when SWFA gets SSALT mounts in stock. i am simply saying that I definitely wouldn't be happy about that little lens booger.

McKinneyMike

I doubt that anyone would want a "booger" on their new lens :)