Thread: What do I have?

Basic Member

What do I have?

I need a little help. I received a savage long action through some tradeing. I need help figuring out what I have in order to buy a stock.
    What I have is: a long action and bolt. Nothing attached to the bottom of action. No barrel. A metal box over a metal spring and plastic follower. No bottom metal or plastic floor plate.
    I do have a few spare mag retainer clips. I need a stock. I have a 27" heavy barrel on order. Do y'all think I could make one of the hogue stocks work? The top loading model maybe?

Basic Member
    did you search it on the parts finder? https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    Didn't think about that. I just looked it up and it says it's a 111 hunter xp. Is this the same as the trophy hunter? Still need some help with a stock. Houge does not list the 111 in there description on there stock. Will this fit?

Basic Member
    You will need to know if your rifle is a center feed or stagger feed. Once you have that info give Houge a call.
    Maybe someone who is in the know will offer more info.

Is the back of the receiver (where the scope mount goes) flat on the top or round? Does it have an accutrigger? If the receiver is flat, it is most likely a staggerfeed and there will be slots under the receiver to attach the mag box to. I think all of the round top receivers and all accutriggers are center feed, but I cannot swear to that.

"Nothing attached to the bottom of action" leads me to think CF. All long actions are the same spacing,any 11X blind mag stock should work.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    No accutrigger. Round top receiver.

Basic Member
    A metal box over a metal spring and plastic follower.
    Describe or post a pic of this box, spring and follower or check in the article section of this site. The metal box is your mag. Chances are it is a center feed action but you do want to be sure, helps avoid returns due to incorrect info.

See the following article and look closely at the magazine feed lips and the machine cuts on the bottom of the action to determine if it's a CF or SF action.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...28SF-and-CF%29
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks j.baker for the link. That helped a lot. Now to the action screws. I have a hogue blind mag stock coming. There are a number of different screws for the action. Do you know which two I need? It's a centerfeed.

Screws can be had at hardware store, thread size is 1/4"x28, pick head type you like, button head looks good. if not exact length is not available, get them a little long & trim to length.