Thread: Beefing up scope mount screws?

Basic Member

Beefing up scope mount screws?

I have a flat-back savage and got frustrated with the tiny mounting screws that hold my EGW scope rail on it. I went to check the torque with a torque wrench (25 inch pounds) before my hunt coming up and the screw head stripped. I'm thinking of enlarging the holes and tapping it for bigger screws and having the scope rail opened up as well.

Anyone ever done this or see an issue with it?

Tony.

Basic Member
    They may have been damaged, over torqued, earlier. What about going with better quality screws? I think many screws are recommended at 15 inch pounds?

Basic Member
    The screws are the ones that came with the EGW mount. I guess I can go with lower torque. I thought 25 was the standard for that size. They weren't damaged as I installed them myself a couple of years ago.

Tony.

dpollard
    I recently had a scope base screw snap off at 20 in lbs. Took it to a gunsmith and he said he often will tap the holes bigger, especially for heavier scopes. I opted not to do it but it sounded like he does it often so I would say it would not be unusual for you to have it done. Although, as in my case, you may have just had an extra brittle screw and once you replace screw will not have further issues.

Basic Member
    Thanks fellas! I'm going to have it opened up to the next larger size and maybe see if I can get some TORX screws for it.

Tony.

I have a New England Firearms 30-06 single shot that had a fairly heavy scope on it. After I had used it a few years it sheared a couple of the base screws off. I had a local gunsmith drill and tap them too the next size and it has been fine since. The recoil is pretty heavy with the loads I am using .