Thread: Can I modify a B&C stock for DBM/side button

KSP1071

Can I modify a B&C stock for DBM/side button

Hello all, I am new here and would appreciate some advice. I have a Savage 111, 30-06 Long action, DBM/side button in its factory stock. I got it very cheap and thought it would make a good deer rifle saving my pretty guns from getting banged up, also a good opportunity to try my hand at some amateur gunsmithing. I put a Timney trigger in it, nice glass and bedded my action hoping for great results. My 4 or 5 MOA groups shrunk to maybe 2 MOA but I consistently get a few unexplained flyers that I attribute to the flimsy stock when I add pressure to it that it doesn't like. I'm consistently no less than a 1 MOA shooter so I expect my rifle be at least as good if not better than me. I still have faith this one will be too.

I'm looking to change the stock next to something with an aluminum bedding block. B&C medalist sporter #2980 is what I'm thinking. My thoughts are that I have the abilities and don't see why it would be very difficult to inlet the bottom of the stock for the magazine to fall out and drill the hole for the side button, repaint the setup and have a hopefully solid shooting rifle. But I haven't seen anyone do this? Is there a reason why I'm only finding folks converting my rifle to a blind mag? Which seems more difficult?
    Last edited by KSP1071; 09-28-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Basic Member
    Easier to convert to blind magazine.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

KSP1071
    Thanks for your reply but can you elaborate? I have no experience doing what I want to do, but how hard could it be to cut out a square in the bottom and drill a hole for the button to operate? Is there an accuracy benefit to the blind magazine or something else I'm unaware of? Teach me up on this subject please.

Basic Member
    Before Savage changed over to the current magazine set-up, the old style DBM's were only put in sythetic stocks and used no magazine surround. It was molded in the stock. The older versions in hardwood stocks actually had a metal surround that was later changed to plastic. Getting the placement of the push buttom correct is harder than it looks, and the magazines are harder to come by.
    To convert to a blind magazine, all you have to do is remove the bottom cover plate from the mag and open up the mag well slightly in the stock for the mag frame to fit. The magazine will snap in like it did before, only this time permanently.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    ^^^ +1

I converted a few of the blind mag versions to the older style DBM that Sharpshooter is talking about. I had come across some nice Walnut stocks on the cheap for them and immediately set-out to find bottom metal for them. At the time I was able to get 3-4 sets in metal, 1 in plastic. That was about 2 years ago. I am still on a quest for more of these, but have not been able to find any in well over a year. I'm almost a full-time "Savage Picker addict" and I can pretty much assure you there are any available, anywhere.

KSP1071
    I happen to have 2 all metal magazines for it. I figured making the button wouldn't be as easy as simply drilling the hole and throwing the button back in. I'm already brain storming ideas about having a new one made out of aluminum, and I'm sure it will have to be either longer or shorter. In fact when I first acquired this rifle it was dropping mags after almost every shot. I bent and added pressure to the spring and sanded a little off the inside part of the button to allow the mag detent to engage slightly more, problem solved. I love this setup as it is, minus the flimsy stock which I assume is making a perfectly capable rifle less than mediocre accuracy wise.

My stock is due to be delivered later this afternoon, and I can't wait to put my hands on it and see if doing the work is feasible. I have a few more questions but I think I'll wait till after it arrives so I'm not wasting your alls time, but thanks so far.

Basic Member
    In that case, go for it. You might check with Numrich for a trim-piece/button hole thing-a-ma-jiggy. The originals (wood stocks) had a plastic piece that the release button passed thru.