Thread: New 11 Hog Hunter question

TrueSavage

New 11 Hog Hunter question

My new hog hunter just arrived and it is my first savage rifle. I'm just wondering if it is normal for the barrel to be off centred in it's free floating channel. I have done a lot of inspection and the stock appears straight, I think there is warping (or just poor moulding) in one of the bedding/contact areas that force the action to mis-align a bit. The barrel is still properly free floating and does not touch the stock but it looks pretty bad.

Also, When putting the bolt into battery if I am applying CCW torque on the bolt the right lug will hit the receiver.

Team Savage
    Try loosening the front and rear stock bolts, center the barrel in stock channel with the rifle held vertical and pull down on the barrel to firmly seat the recoil lug against the back of the recoil lug inlet. Hold in this position and tighten the front stock bolt to 30 in-lbs torque. Then tighten the rear stock bolt to 30 in-lbs. If that does not work, take a picture, call Savage Arms customer service and request they send you a replacement stock, since it is a defective piece of tupperware and you want a new one.

The Hog Hunter I purchased this summer also seemed to have a similar problem with the right bolt face lug slightly catching on the inside front of the receiver port when closing . I put a little 320 grit lapping compound on the lug and cycled it a few hundred times and the the problem went away.

TrueSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Try loosening the front and rear stock bolts, center the barrel in stock channel with the rifle held vertical and pull down on the barrel to firmly seat the recoil lug against the back of the recoil lug inlet. Hold in this position and tighten the front stock bolt to 30 in-lbs torque. Then tighten the rear stock bolt to 30 in-lbs. If that does not work, take a picture, call Savage Arms customer service and request they send you a replacement stock, since it is a defective piece of tupperware and you want a new one.

The Hog Hunter I purchased this summer also seemed to have a similar problem with the right bolt face lug slightly catching on the inside front of the receiver port when closing . I put a little 320 grit lapping compound on the lug and cycled it a few hundred times and the the problem went away.
    Thanks for the tip but unfortunately it didn't work. Here's a pic in case anyone is curous. I guess I'll give Cabelas a call first and see about an exchange, living in Canada makes dealing with manufacturers a pita.