Thread: Shilen barrel Model 12 headspace concern

99mildmod

Shilen barrel Model 12 headspace concern

Hello, First post so if its in the wrong area, let me know please.Model 12 Low Profile Varmint receiver stainless, Shilen 6.5 Creedmoor Stainless select ultra match barrel 1-8; 4 ratchet rifling .805 at the muzzle, precision barrel nut and recoil lug from Jim at Northland, B&C Medalist M40 stock, Rifle Basix Sav 1 trigger and have a PTG fluted bolt and bolt face on the way. Budget minded build that is getting more pricey than originally expected.
    I head spaced with the go gauge from PTG, ejector and extractor removed for head spacing. All seems to be good there. Closes on the go with very little resistance and does not close on the no go. Measured with Hornady OAL gauge and modified case and the COAL touching the lands is 2.6405 (using a pulled winchester match 140gr HPBT from the box I bought). COAL of the Winchester Match ammo I have is 2.800. Do I need to adjust the headspace for the bullet to be 10 or 20 thou off the lands or will jamming the lands by .195 be acceptable? seems very extreme (and pressure dangerous) to me. This is my first savage lets not forget that part. Remmy 700 243 bull barrel and load at .020 off the lands is my go to for now until I get this squared away.

Basic Member
    No. Head space is base off the shoulder of the case not the bullet placement. I'm guessing you don't have a reloading setup for the 6.5 Creedmoor yet, but if you do seat the bullets on the factory ammo based on your measurements.

99mildmod
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    No. Head space is base off the shoulder of the case not the bullet placement. I'm guessing you don't have a reloading setup for the 6.5 Creedmoor yet, but if you do seat the bullets on the factory ammo based on your measurements.

Thanks for the reply. No I do not have any dies for this 6.5 yet but should shortly. I just got the oal guage and modified cases today so its my first time using it. I just chambered a factory round (with firing pin removed) and it didnt seem to touch the lands.....? marked the bullet with a sharpie to see contact but nothing was there. Running the bolt handle into battery and cycling is at right around 1 pound, measured with trigger pull scale. I am new to savages obviously but in the remmy, that seems very light. Am I missing something or is it the way it should be?

Basic Member
    When you use the OAL Gauge make sure you tap on it 3-4 times with your index to get the bullet to hit the lands. Then measure it a couple more times, maybe 5 total. Then take the average of those 5 and that should be a pretty good approximation.

If it's the hornady OAL gauge it is not a perfect system, but works pretty well in most cases.

99mildmod
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    When you use the OAL Gauge make sure you tap on it 3-4 times with your index to get the bullet to hit the lands. Then measure it a couple more times, maybe 5 total. Then take the average of those 5 and that should be a pretty good approximation.

If it's the hornady OAL gauge it is not a perfect system, but works pretty well in most cases.
    Yep, Its the red tube hornady. inexpensive but seems more accurate than smoking the bullet like I did for the 243. If used properly, which now I know I wasnt a few mins ago