Thread: Remage?

Basic Member

Remage?

Ok guys I know this is a savage forum and I have been a forum member her for a while BUT I figured id post this question here before trying else where. I have a remington 700 mountain SS which has an aftermarket trigger set at 2lbs and is just a dream to shoot (sweet trigger and very smooth bolt) but it is not crazy accurate. It will only hold 1MOA which is fine since I use it mainly as a mountain gun anyways. Well, sadly, after a few years of use I determined that I think I want to change calibers on it. It is currently a 3006 which is fine but im thinking of going a little smaller in all honesty. Maybe 260, 7mm-08...etc. Instead of having it rebarreled I was contemplating going to a rem-age system which requires having your receiver milled to be able to accept that notch thing on the savage style recoil lug. Any ideas where I can ship mine to have this done for not crazy price? If they are a gun smith with FFL can I ship direct to them through UPS/FedEx or USPS or do I have to go through an FFL? Is the barrel for the rem-age a specific type barrel? The reason I ask is what if the rem-age loses popularity...could the barrels suddenly be stopped being made...Any other thoughts? thanks!

Basic Member
    Before you do that why dont you try to find a Rem takeoff barrel. Check out the Shooters Corner website which is run by Bob White who
    is a bench shooter and gun builder. It could take an hour or more to browse the whole site for about everything pertaining to guns and accessories.
    He often has new takeoff barrels listed. 6.5 is a tough one however due to its current popularity.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Before you do that why dont you try to find a Rem takeoff barrel. Check out the Shooters Corner website which is run by Bob White who
    is a bench shooter and gun builder. It could take an hour or more to browse the whole site for about everything pertaining to guns and accessories.
    He often has new takeoff barrels listed. 6.5 is a tough one however due to its current popularity.
    the problem with that is I would have to have that barrel shouldered to my action by a gunsmith. And then when im bored with that caliber I am in the same position I am now. I have two savages I have custom built with new barrels that I installed myself. I simply just like the Remington action better as it is smooth as butter compared to the savage. I would like it to be a switch barrel like my savages!

LongRange
    get a hold of jim he will get you taken care of at a fair price....

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...651#post333651

Skip the notch in the action. Remove the locating pin from the lug. It takes about two extra tries and 30 seconds to get the lug straight when you tighten the nut.

Get the barrel and tools from Jim.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    You could probably notch the receiver yourself.
    INFERNO