Thread: Kentucky Elk Hunting

Basic Member

Kentucky Elk Hunting

No this is not me, but I wish it was. It is the first 400'' Bull Elk (9x8, 408) ever taken in Ky, Measured by Gabe Jenkins of Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife.. Kudos to them for doing such as fantastic job in Eastern Ky with repopulating. Hopefully, I will draw a tag next year!!

AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

Basic Member
    Have they created large food plots on public land or are they foraging as best they can?
    Which of coarse means the deer herd suffers as do private landowners, mainly farmers.
    Most of the elk here are shot on private property within a couple hundred yards of houses.
    Weve had 2 bulls and a cow shot within the saftey zone distance from the camp.
    So its been more of an elk shoot than an elk hunt. The game commission is well aware of that
    and to their credit, they are attempting to disperse the herd to more desolate areas by building food plots.
    But to their discredit they never saw the deer herd worthy of food plots or even planting the numerous
    gas pipe lines and power lines. We were told 30 years ago this area could no longer sustain a large deer herd
    due to tree growth. 2 deer per sq mile was all the area could support according to the bioligists. Well we now have
    more elk per sq mile than that in some areas and all thats changed is that the trees are bigger. And lots of large sections
    are being high fenced to keep the animals out. Theyve also gated off all but the main dirt roads thruout the region to keep
    all types of vehicles out. In some areas that even includes horses. So everything has a price attached to it for somebody,
    and that includes the elk herds in populated areas of the country.

Team Savage
    i dont agree with "farming animals"...but that is one HUGE bull

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pighunter284 View Post
    i dont agree with "farming animals"...but that is one HUGE bull
    Their not what you refer to as (farmed animals). They are in fact born and raised in the wild where there are no fences protecting them.
    But like a deer they can tolerate humans where it comes to food. Have something they like in your yard and their coming for it
    wether your there or not. If it happens to be your prized garden or a needed cash crop, so be it.

That is a dandy. I am 0-4 so far on getting drawn in KY, but kinda expect that as am OOS.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Nice bull! I hope they get that big here when they reintroduce them here in WV! There's already some here in the southern part of the state where they've crossed the river from Kentucky.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Basic Member
    Ive never applied for a tag here in PA. But im told non residents have the same chance as residents.
    I expect to be having (the outfitters) drive up any time now asking if ive been seeing any nice bulls lol.

That is one fine looking animal.