Thread: Help with Colorado Elk hunt

Bearguide444

Help with Colorado Elk hunt

I am seeking advice on where to go on an Elk hunting trip in Colorado in a unlimited license area. A dear friend called and stated we need to go next year on an elk trip. We have been talking about going on a trip for years when we get older,but he may not get older. So here comes the planning part we want to be in a good area that has Elk in Colorado in the unlimited license area but We need to be pointed in the right direction as to zone or unit. Any help or guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Basic Member
    Bull elk tags can be bought over the counter after you arrive. Cow tags are issued by a draw system based on an allotment for the area.
    Often the cow tags dont all get drawn in some areas, which means you can also buy those when you arrive. If you plan on hunting without
    an outfitter it can be a multi trip learning curve untill you get educated. All education cost in one way or another. I wouldnt necessarily advise
    going with an outfitter unless you have several solid references you can depend on. 4 wheelers can be pretty much a requirment if you go alone.
    I have friends who have been going to the same area for many years and they do quite well on their own. But they work very hard at it also.
    There are also 3 seperate seasons each being for 1 week. The later it gets, the worse the weather can get but thats not always the case in that part of the world.
    Deer tags as a rule are more difficult to get than the elk tags.

remind me again what the heck are unlimited lic?
    which gmu can you hunt in?
    go scout well before the season, but that does not mean anything, I skunked few times, so take my 2 cents with a large grain of crack cocaine.
    if you had 1st rifle (just after muzzle/bow) then go there couple of days ahead and get in positions, most of shot we heard was on opening day, then it was SILENT.
    be ready for a large swing in temp, 40F and sunny to 10F or even -20F.

I don't think you can take 4wheelers off the trails. Check first.
    the biggest thing you gots to remember is READ all rules, any gaming infraction in CO is a felony!
    Last edited by Stockrex; 12-17-2015 at 04:45 AM.

Bearguide444
    Thank you for all your kind words but I'm looking more for zone or units to try and pick out to start our research. So we may be able to scout and make a trip this summer before we buy our over the counter tags

Basic Member

Help with Colorado Elk hunt

I went this fall to unit 070 I tagged a cow. The group we went with has been going for 50 years. They know several locals that showed us where the elk were on the public lands. Drove my ranger around a lot to get up and down the mountain. There are lots of trails just gotta know where they are.
    Last edited by 67tundra; 12-16-2015 at 11:00 PM.

Basic Member
    There are elk in every GMU in CO. Blessing and curse and makes it hard to say "hunt GMU XXX" without some more info.

Think about how you want to hunt - backpack in a wilderness, drop spike camp, road hunt, RV base camp, etc. - then find units with that topography.

Use the data and maps that CO publishes to help refine the units you identified into a couple of prime candidates.

Then call the biologists for those areas and learn more.

It takes hard work and effort to find YOUR GMU.

jbehredt
    Diyhunting.com. I'm not associated with the guy but I do own a digital copy of his book. I started hunting elk in CO when I was 12. Mostly bowhunt now. This guy has seen and done more elk hunting than most ever will. He put his hard earned lessons in a book that really breaks it down from start to finish. Some of it is a little dated nut it's a great starting point for a new CO elk hunter. Well worth the price even for a veteran hunter.

Basic Member
    A good place to start is homework with USFS and BLM. If they allow a bunch of grazing in your GMU, find somewhere else. Where I grew up on the W. slope they are grazing it down to the dirt clods.

Basic Member
    I found the book Public Land Elk Hunting by Matthew Dworak very helpful.

We were mainly interested in a backpack style hunt to begin with. Reading the book helped paint a good picture of what it takes to be successful doing it that way.

Since we wanted a backpack hunt we specifically targeted wilderness areas. Only access is via foot or horse.

If you want, or need, ATV's or a truck to get around that changes where you can hunt and who will be hunting around you.

There are really informative Hunt Guides published by CO Parks & Wildlife. We started there to get a sense on what general area of the state held the opportunity and topography that most appealed to us.

Another option is to consider paying to become a member of Huntin' Fool or GoHunt.com and using their experience and hunt advisors to help you narrow things down quickly.

Basic Member
    Pagosa springs. Northwest on piedra road. This turns into a forest road. Once you leave pogasa springs, ca 22 miles, cross weminuche grass valley. Then drive between 5-10 miles. You will see graham peak on the map. From graham peak back to bald mountain, on the north side, you will find elk. even when the herds haven't migrated from the weminuche wilderness. Good population of resident elk.
    be ready to walk. Get away from the road.
    unit 77/78/781 tags if you put in the draw. I recommend all in your party to draw (early April deadline) for cow elk tags. Only costs about 10 bucks if you don't get a tag. You want to have at least 1 cow tag for every 3 hunters, because if you want meat, you will see cows. If you don't draw a cow tag, then check leftover licenses in July. There may be some but they are first come first serve. Then get your unlimited bull licenses based on how many cow tags you got.
    if you camp (I recommend) camp in the mountains, but use sportsmanswarehouse campground for the occasional shower - last time I was there only 5 bucks. (Google it). Nice people.
    Beautiful place. good hunting. try to draw a mule deer tag as well.
    My hunting group has been there 3 times. Out of 27 total tags bought, 9 elk harvested. Not a guarantee, but 33% ain't bad.
    if you're looking for a guide, try crazy horse outfitters. Never used them, but I know they are good.
    i will check back from time to time. If you want more info. I will be there this fall.
    Good luck and be sure to go.
    regards