Page 67 of 72 FirstFirst ... 57636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

I may be the annoying new guy to this thread, and I have read through some of it, so forgive me if I missed it, but are people primarily using these guns for long range target practice, hunting or both? I’d love to justify buying one of these, but having trouble figure out which caliber and for which purpose, especially as my longest shot (for target and hunting) would be no greater than 400 yards.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb80 View Post
    I may be the annoying new guy to this thread, and I have read through some of it, so forgive me if I missed it, but are people primarily using these guns for long range target practice, hunting or both? I’d love to justify buying one of these, but having trouble figure out which caliber and for which purpose, especially as my longest shot (for target and hunting) would be no greater than 400 yards.
    Both...although they are heavy and I personally do not want to haul one through the woods. I have several and they are all bench shooters. What do you want to hunt?

Basic Member
    Basically the 12 series was/is target and varmint rifles. The V is for varmint. I would not hesitate to take one deer or elk hunting, but, my hunting never involved walking much more than a mile.

Basic Member
    Primarily hunt whitetail our of deer blinds where the farthest walk isn’t more than a couple hundred yards and the farthest shot would be 200 yards. I have plenty of rifles that can handle that shot, but am always open to finding another one to fill a gap.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tb80 View Post
    Primarily hunt whitetail our of deer blinds where the farthest walk isn’t more than a couple hundred yards and the farthest shot would be 200 yards. I have plenty of rifles that can handle that shot, but am always open to finding another one to fill a gap.
    Then go with the 6.5 or .308....Although I just looked at Cabela's website and all they are listing right now are .22-250, .308, and .223. Whichever one you get, when you are tired of it and want some fun just spin off that barrel nut and try something else out!

Basic Member
    For those of you that frequent Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's, look up an app on your phone called Raise. With this app you can buy discounted gift cards instantly. For some reason, Cabela's cards are always cheaper than Bass Pro. I just checked and right now they are offering Cabela's gift cards at 14.4% off. That's a great savings. The real benefit is that they spend just like cash. So while all these black friday sales are going on you can buy gift cards on the app so you will save and additional percentage off of your sale item. It can really add up for multiple purchases. PM me if someone has questions. Also, these cards will fluctuate in there discount. In other words, one day you may be able to get 14.4% off and the next day, the cards will only be 12% off. Anyway, I've saved a ton of money over the last year and a half that I have had the app so I just thought it was worth passing along so ya'll can check it out.

Hey guys. First post first savage. I picked up a 12fv in 308 this morning and and egw 20 moa base. Got home put it together and noticed the bolt is a little sticky going in and out. Is that normal. And I feel like the back hole for the scope base is drilled a little crooked. It was pretty tight going in but got them all in and snug. Anything to worry about or just run it. Love the forum. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnut721 View Post
    Hey guys. First post first savage. I picked up a 12fv in 308 this morning and and egw 20 moa base. Got home put it together and noticed the bolt is a little sticky going in and out. Is that normal. And I feel like the back hole for the scope base is drilled a little crooked. It was pretty tight going in but got them all in and snug. Anything to worry about or just run it. Love the forum. Thanks.
    The scope hole over the barrel is notorious for having grit left over from the sandblasting process. Example here: https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...cope-Hole-Crud

Get a bottom tap and clean out/chase all the scope mounting holes....well worth it. As for the "sticky" bolt. It's a Savage, not a Tika ;-) Start cycling the hell out of it or maybe hone the raceway as also talked about in the same thread.

Basic Member
    Bought one for $250 a few years ago. Had to check out what the 6.5 CM group has been talking about. Great gun, less than moa

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnut721 View Post

I have the same problem. Smooth as butter before the mount, sticking in the middle after. I'm bummed out about it. I guess a gunsmith will get it corrected after the new stock arrives!

Basic Member

Sticking bolt

Quote Originally Posted by Gman69 View Post
    I have the same problem. Smooth as butter before the mount, sticking in the middle after. I'm bummed out about it. I guess a gunsmith will get it corrected after the new stock arrives!
    Make sure the screws that’s came with you mount aren’t too long. The may be protruding into the action. Just a thought.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
    I was looking at the rebate form that they have on Cabelas, and I didn't see the
    model 12 FV listed.

Last year rebate was a lot of confusion, Axis went through 12FV hit and miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I wonder about that rebate,,, according to the fine print, the 12fv does not qualify.
    I'm wondering the same thing. The rebate form specifically says "AXIS/Trophy/Apex or Engage Hunter". Which one of those is a Model 12? I really want one in .223 but I don't think I'll be pulling the trigger until I get some confirmation that it actually applies.
    - Kirk -

Basic Member
    I'm on here hoping for clarification on that issue too. I shopped the 12FV and on that web page in bold letters is Mail In Rebate. In the past, this was good enough as the 12FV is not in the Savage catalog. It's special made for Cabelas/Bass Pro so it's never listed on the rebate forms, but I've bought a gun safe full of 12FV's and always got the rebate.

Cabelas also has 10% off gift cards on sale BUT no ecards so you can't order online and use it. I'd go to one of the other sources for gift cards.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

I just bought one today at Cabela’s, they have a tiered discount on New/Used rifles right now for Club card members, and submitted my $75 rebate info to the company. I’ll give an update if it works out. Cabela’s website is misrepresenting their prices if the don’t accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought one as well, came here looking for people with 12fv rebate experience since it isn't shown in writing. I ordered online on black Friday with discount gift cards if that rebate comes through I'll be in it for 267 after tax and all.

Basic Member
    Picked one up to build a smokeless muzzleloader...

I submitted my rebate but it still shows pending review. If it doesn't take it's pretty shady IMO. Cabela's adds and the rifle description page both clearly show the price AFTER REBATE. When I asked for verification at the store I was told that's all Savage and nothing to do with them. Now I'm just waiting and hoping for the best.

Basic Member
    Just rec'ed my E Aurthur Brown (Revolution) stock to replace my FV plasticware stock. The stock was inletted for the old style trigger guard. Is Trigger guard 107217 the correct one? I see Amazon carries it but I want to be sure I am getting the correct one.
    I have been scanning through this thread and cannot find discussion. Or my old eyes just can't see.

Just checked my status and it says not qualified. I was afraid this would happen. I don't blame Savage, it's Cabela's that I'm not too happy with.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRS View Post
    Just checked my status and it says not qualified. I was afraid this would happen. I don't blame Savage, it's Cabela's that I'm not too happy with.
    Try giving the Savage rebate center a call. It's worth a few minutes of your time to possibly preserve your rebate. I had to call them once when they said my rebate request was not qualified and I was able to quickly straighten it out with them.

Looks like my rebate was accepted. Just waiting on them to send out the check.

Just looked and they emailed that they've received my rebate application. I did it online with my phone yesterday. And now we wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    Try giving the Savage rebate center a call. It's worth a few minutes of your time to possibly preserve your rebate. I had to call them once when they said my rebate request was not qualified and I was able to quickly straighten it out with them.
    I called and she said they couldn't make out the date on the photo of my receipt I had uploaded. The rebate was still open so she told me to resubmit. Now I wait again and hopefully it goes through this time.

I got my .308 dies, I have brass and powder, I just need bullets. I'm leaning towards starting with 168 gr. but am considering 175 with the 1:10 twist of the 12FV. I'd appreciate any input on anyone's experience with these or others.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRS View Post
    I got my .308 dies, I have brass and powder, I just need bullets. I'm leaning towards starting with 168 gr. but am considering 175 with the 1:10 twist of the 12FV. I'd appreciate any input on anyone's experience with these or others.
    You should submit this question in a new thread in the "Ammunition & Reloading" section. It will get more views by those who are qualified to help you.