Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Johanson, what's on the bottom of the forend? It is that an at-one? Could you post a side shot of rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    Johanson, what's on the bottom of the forend? It is that an at-home? Could you post a side shot of rifle.
    It's the interchangeable forend on the AT One Boyd's stock. You can see it on here: https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/at-one

Basic Member
    Roger that. Auto correct got me.

Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    Roger that. Auto correct got me.
    I knew that! :)

Basic Member
    Crappy pic but here's my new toy with an SWFA SS 3-15X42 mounted (for now). Can't wait to see how she shoots.

Basic Member
    I'm sure most of you know this but be sure to include the serial number of your rifle with your rebate submission. They don't specifically ask for it on the rebate form but they just bounced my app for not including it. Not a big deal, as they gave me until 4/24 to get it to them but I figured if I could save someone else the trouble...

Basic Member
    They accepted my "Cabela's exclusive" paperwork and rejected my "2nd amendment" claim. I wanted that beer blanket!! Ha ha

So,....I just went and finally put some rounds down range through the FV in 6.5.

It shoots fantastic. First 4 shot group went into a single ragged hole @ 100 yards. It measured approximately 0.12”. This was using Nosler match grade 140’s. This was shooting off the hood of the car with gusting winds and snow.

I finished my session with numb fingers and a 0.72” four shot group. I could no longer feel the trigger and figured I better call it a day. Lol.

I just slapped a set of factory aluminum weaver type bases and a set of Burris sig rings with a Burris full-field 4.5-14.

And because it will bother somebody I will mention that I have not removed a single decal from the rifle. Even has the tag on the trigger guard.

I left the decals on my 93R17 GLV just to bug my hunting buddy. Finally took them off with a hair dryer. Did the same with my 12FV.

< than smooth bolt closure

New member, first Savage. I took my new Savage 12 FV out to the range last week, and it shot very well. I shot some factory ammo, as well as, some 148 gr SMK's reloads. Impressive for sight in, and breaking in trip. Some thing I noticed was that in order to get a smooth bolt closure, I had to push the bolt forward, and then down... even on an empty chamber. I also noticed that when I do this the bolt release lever moves slightly forward. Is this normal? Will this improve as I put more rounds down range? And lastly, if this not normal, and wont improve, is there a fix for this? I don't believe this is a head space issue; once the bolt is pushed forward the round chambers nicely. This makes it difficult to maintain sight alignment for a follow up shot. Any ideas? Thanks'

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboblargerobert View Post
    New member, first Savage. I took my new Savage 12 FV out to the range last week, and it shot very well. I shot some factory ammo, as well as, some 148 gr SMK's reloads. Impressive for sight in, and breaking in trip. Some thing I noticed was that in order to get a smooth bolt closure, I had to push the bolt forward, and then down... even on an empty chamber. I also noticed that when I do this the bolt release lever moves slightly forward. Is this normal? Will this improve as I put more rounds down range? And lastly, if this not normal, and wont improve, is there a fix for this? I don't believe this is a head space issue; once the bolt is pushed forward the round chambers nicely. This makes it difficult to maintain sight alignment for a follow up shot. Any ideas? Thanks'
    Sounds like the cocking pin is making contact with the sear, possibly just a little early. If it has the early style adjustable firing pin you could likely adjust the cocking pin and make the operation a little smoother.

I hate rebates! Every time I try and get one, it goes south on me.
    I have been tracking my $100 rebate since they received my form on Feb 20th.
    The day after the deadline ended, it showed denied (non-conformed)
    So I called the rebate center, and after a short hold I was told the bad news:
    Cabelas put their inventory sticker over the factory UPC, I was no getting the rebate.

I fussed a little with the person on the phone who again put me on hold.
    She came back and said that there was no such model as the Savage 12FV, thus my rebate was denied.
    So which was it?

I called Cabelas to vent. They opened an investigation and said I would hear from them in a few days.
    I then came here and found a picture of the Feb sale paper, and double-checked my copy of the rebate form.
    The rebate form clearly says 12FV in big letters across the top.

So, armed with solid info, I called the rebate center again.
    I got a different rep who said my rebate has just been approved.
    He again blamed Cabelas for covering up the UPC.
    They are very frustrated with Cabelas for covering up the UPC with an inventory sticker...
    That doesn't explain why one of the folks at the rebate place tried to tell me the 12FV didn't exsist.
    Anyway, I think it's all OK now...
    Now if I can figure out how to get Hornady to send me my free bullets....................

Basic Member
    Always a pain... I figured out a while ago how to remove stickers from boxes and other stickers using a hair dryer to melt the glue on the back of the sticker and pull the sticker off cleanly. On this rebate request submission, I actually used a box knife to cut the sticker off and mailed it to them with the cardboard affixed. They just emailed saying my $100 gift card is in the mail.

If you take a hair dryer, you can heat the Cabela’s sticker and pull it off.

Basic Member
    I have been trying to use one of my rebate cards the last 3 days. I activated it by calling the number. It even prompts you to choose a 4 digit PIN number. I did all that and tried to by some tackle at Academy Sports. It was a no go. I then tried to use it at a gas station. Both times it was run as debit and credit and it was declined. I called the activation number again and reset my PIN #. Today, I tried to use it at Academy Sports again. It did not work. I went out in the parking lot and called the activation number and went through the process one more time. I figured I had nothing to lose and returned inside the store and attempted a purchase. It finally worked. I had to run the card as credit. What a pain. My previous card was no problem.

I sent the whole end piece of the box.
    I'm not even sure the Cabela's sticker was actually covering the Savage sticker...

Basic Member
    Has anyone put one the 12FV in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock? If so, how did the barrel fit the channel? Their description says it fits bull barrels, straight (no) taper, 1-1.25" diameter. I don't mind removing material but I don't want to add material if the gap is too big.

Basic Member
    I am guessing there have only been about 200 Pro Varmint stocks added to 12fv's in the last year or so. :)

THe fit is fine. They are not too big for the barrel, in fact, if you had a true bull barrel, you might have to open the barrel channel a bit. When ordering, get a stock for the "Hog Hunter" model, you will get what you're looking for.

Basic Member
    Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured but I was having trouble finding pics or comments on how the barrel fit. Boyds description of a bull barrel wasn't a lot of help either. I have a tendency to get bit in the butt if I don't check these things out.

So this works out well for me. I initially intended to put this rifle into an XLR Element chassis but that's just not in the budget right now. I think the Boyds stock will work out for now and who knows? I may just keep it on there. Anything's better than that tupperware thing that came on it.

Basic Member
    As far as ordering for the 11 hog hunter, they do have the correct options for ordering for the FV: Model 12, top bolt release, SA,CF, blind mag, etc. Would that not be the way to go when ordering? Or is that just 2 ways to get to the same product?

Basic Member
    First group with Hornady American Gunner after a few sight in shots. They weren't all this good but I foresee a long and beautiful friendship with this rifle.

Basic Member
    I did have one issue on my rifle's maiden voyage. I don't know if you call it a failure to extract or failure to eject. Most of the time as I drew the bolt back, the case would extract but then it would drop before it had a chance to eject. I'm not ripping it but I'm not babying it either. Occasionally it would leave the case in the chamber and I'd have to cycle the bolt again to get it out. I guess I'll pull the bolt out and snap a spent case into and see what the extractor feels like.

Edit: Well that was easy. The extractor has a chunk missing. Are Savage extractors generally gtg or should I take this opportunity to get one from SSS or another aftermarket source?

2nd Edit: So after a little reading it seems 6.5 CM extractors have that angled milled into them? I guess I better keep reading to see what going on with this thing...

Mine has the same issue. Seems the extractor drops the case when it clears the chamber. I’ve thought about filing the notch out in the ejector so that it will extend out a little farther and put a little more pressure on the case. Just a theory.

I’ve had one savage rifle that was new have ejection issue. I got the kit from SSS and no more issues. Otherwise I recommend changing out the bearing for an oversized one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcb38 View Post
    I did have one issue on my rifle's maiden voyage. I don't know if you call it a failure to extract or failure to eject. Most of the time as I drew the bolt back, the case would extract but then it would drop before it had a chance to eject. I'm not ripping it but I'm not babying it either. Occasionally it would leave the case in the chamber and I'd have to cycle the bolt again to get it out. I guess I'll pull the bolt out and snap a spent case into and see what the extractor feels like.

Edit: Well that was easy. The extractor has a chunk missing. Are Savage extractors generally gtg or should I take this opportunity to get one from SSS or another aftermarket source?

2nd Edit: So after a little reading it seems 6.5 CM extractors have that angled milled into them? I guess I better keep reading to see what going on with this thing...
    I have this problem with my 22-250 12FV, it happens about every 3rd round.